Waterfall Chart with PowerPivot

AlexNYExcel

Hello Everybody,

probably every expert pro know how to create waterfall chart in excel.
Just in case here is explanation:
1. For example we have list of selling categories that contribute to overall sales in period
2. we need view, where 1st column - categories, 2nd column - sales by categories, in the end we Sum them up
3. We create 2nd column with "empty values" (that will be bottom in the chart) - where for 1st category value 0, for next one is equal to sum of all values before.
For example
Shoes 5
Jeans 10
Jackets 7
Sum 22

With "empty values" (will allow next category start not from 0)

Shoes 5 0
Jeans 10 5
Jackets 7 15
Sum 22 (sum from 0 again, to show height of the total)
4. We create chart, and the bottom categories "empty values" make 100% transparent.
Result something like this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-i8pk8dQEZxY/UJ6EkykbaHI/AAAAAAAAAgM/dYeWXtEDWfE/s1600/waterfall9.png

So my question is, how to create such measure in powerpivot, after creation pivot with categories and sales?

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Hi,

I had a play with this, and this is the approach I took:
  1. Choose a dimension to use as 'categories' of the waterfall (e.g. Product Category).
  2. Enforce an ordering on that dimension using an index column.
  3. Create an extended version of the above dimension table by adding a 'subtotal' item after each element of the dimension, also with an index column to preserve ordering. This allows you to optionally have a 'total bar' after any 'increment bar'. This extended table will actually be used for the chart.
  4. The extended dimension table relates to the original dimension table - see uploaded file.
  5. Create measures for:
    Cumulative total
    Previous Cumulative total
    Padding bars
    Increment bars (positive/negative and above/below axis)
  6. Put these all in a pivot table/chart with appropriate formatting

This did get reasonably complicated, so I have uploaded an example done with Excel 2010 Power Query & Power Pivot:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9pNjpDQKy_LVS1uZGo4Mlp2Qk0

The 'Category' slicer lets you choose which products are available, and the ChartCategory slicer lets you choose product/subtotal bars.
The nice thing is that, if you exclude a product category, it is excluded from the waterfall calculation.
I'm sure this can be improved on, but at least demonstrates that it can be done :)

Upvote 0
Thank you for the solution.
You did a great job, actually most of the value added me "Cumulative Measure".
I simple used that and 2nd one, for "empty" column - subtracted Actual from Cumulative and it works fine.

And for total another measure as well.

Hi,

I had a play with this, and this is the approach I took:
  1. Choose a dimension to use as 'categories' of the waterfall (e.g. Product Category).
  2. Enforce an ordering on that dimension using an index column.
  3. Create an extended version of the above dimension table by adding a 'subtotal' item after each element of the dimension, also with an index column to preserve ordering. This allows you to optionally have a 'total bar' after any 'increment bar'. This extended table will actually be used for the chart.
  4. The extended dimension table relates to the original dimension table - see uploaded file.
  5. Create measures for:
    Cumulative total
    Previous Cumulative total
    Padding bars
    Increment bars (positive/negative and above/below axis)
  6. Put these all in a pivot table/chart with appropriate formatting

This did get reasonably complicated, so I have uploaded an example done with Excel 2010 Power Query & Power Pivot:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9pNjpDQKy_LVS1uZGo4Mlp2Qk0

The 'Category' slicer lets you choose which products are available, and the ChartCategory slicer lets you choose product/subtotal bars.
The nice thing is that, if you exclude a product category, it is excluded from the waterfall calculation.
I'm sure this can be improved on, but at least demonstrates that it can be done :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back