Pivot Newbie Needs Quick Help

sjakubik

Board Regular
I have the attached spreadsheet with two columns: column A (award) and column B (name). I need the data to be transposed to Name in column A, Award 1 in column B, Award 2 in column C, etc. Copy/transpose won't work because of the repeated names. I know this is a simple pivot thing but I cannot figure it out. Help, wise ones! Thanks! Susanna

AwardName
NHS Honor CollarAbraham, Noah
SNHS Honor CordAbraham, Noah
SNHS Honor CordAbraham, Noah
NHS Honor CollarAbraham, Noelle
SNHS Honor CordAbraham, Noelle
YES MedalAbraham, Noelle

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
How about something like this. Put the names in the Row Labels, the Awards in the Column labels, and then put Awards a second time in the Values section. It will give you a count of each award for each person. Would that be close to what you're looking for?

Upvote 0
I assume Award is in A1 and Name is in B1 and the file is sorted by name and award. So I have allowed for 4 awards and named C1 to F1 as Award1 to Award4. In column G I have a Helper column with G2 = 2, G3 =3, G4 = 4 etc down the file.
In C2 put
=IF(B1<>"Name","",A2)
In C3 put
=IF(MATCH(B2,$B2:$B$7)>MATCH(B3,$B3:$B$7),"",A3)
Copy that down
In D2 put
=IFERROR(IF(AND($C2<>"",$B3=$B2,MATCH($B2,$B2:$B$7)>MATCH($B3,$B3:$B$7),MATCH($B2,$B2:$B$7)<>0),INDIRECT("B"&$G3),""),"")
In E2 put
=IFERROR(IF(AND($C2<>"",$B4=$B2,MATCH($B2,$B2:$B$7)>MATCH($B3,$B3:$B$7),MATCH($B2,$B2:$B$7)<>0),INDIRECT("B"&$G4),""),"")
In F2 put
=IFERROR(IF(AND($C2<>"",$B5=$B2,MATCH($B2,$B2:$B$7)>MATCH($B3,$B3:$B$7),MATCH($B2,$B2:$B$7)<>0),INDIRECT("B"&$G4),""),"")
And copy these down
In G2 put 2 and in G3 put 3 and in G4 put 4 etc down the column
Once this is done you should get the 1st line with with name only show data. If you copy paste special the results to a new sheet say and sort it to get rid of blank row you will end up with the desired result.

Also If you want more columns move column G over and for every new column see the Bold enlarged numbers above indicating the only change to the formula that would be necessary e.g. if you need 5 award columns the next col G would have B6 in place of B5

Hope that’s makes sense and maybe some1 will come up with a better solution or a VBA solution

Cheers

Ps I do have the complete file if needed but try it yrself 1st

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it makes perfect sense - thank you so much! However, I cannot get it to work. I'm SURE it is human error, as your description was very simple. Arrgh. I'm not sure what else to do.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much, ace19852 . However, I need to have the names of the additional awards next to the people's names, not a repeat of their names. Your spreadsheet reads:

AwardNameAward1Award2Award3Award4Helper
NHS Honor CollarAbraham, NoahNHS Honor CollarAbraham, NoahAbraham, Noah2

<colgroup><col><col><col span="2"><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
But I need it to read:
AwardNameAward1Award2Award3Award4Helper
NHS Honor CollarAbraham, NoahNHS Honor CollarSNHS Honor Cord2

<colgroup><col><col><col span="2"><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Hmmm I thought that's how mine came out sry about that ! I'll check it see whats gone wrong and get back to you asap

Cheers

PS already found problem
slight error

change in D2 "B" to "A"

=IFERROR(IF(AND($C2<>"",$B3=$B2,MATCH($B2,$B2:$B$7)>MATCH($B3,$B3:$B$7),MATCH($B2,$B2:$B$7)<>0),INDIRECT("B"&$G3),""),"")

=IFERROR(IF(AND($C2<>"",$B3=$B2,MATCH($B2,$B2:$B$7)>MATCH($B3,$B3:$B$7),MATCH($B2,$B2:$B$7)<>0),INDIRECT("A"&$G3),""),"")

and also the same place in E2 i.e. "B" to "A" and copy down and that will fix it

Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you! What about F2? Would this change as well? And what if I have people with more than three awards?

Upvote 0
Do you have a revised sheet you can post? It is still not working. I am getting:

AwardName
Pride and Perseverance in ChoirJemi AbrahamPride and Perseverance in ChoirPride and Perseverance in Mathematical Models with ApplicationsPride and Perseverance in Mathematical Models with Applications
Pride and Perseverance in Mathematical Models with ApplicationsJemi Abraham
NHS Honor CollarNoah AbrahamNHS Honor CollarNoah AbrahamNoah Abraham

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sktz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back