Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,
I'm just trying to add some text to todays date,, just can't get it :(

I have:
Code:
=TEXT,Today, The Day & Date Is:-"TODAY(dddd/dd/mm/yyyy)

I'm not sure what is wrong?? Can't be far off?
Any Ideas Please,,,
It's meant to say;
Today, The Day & Date Is:- Monday 13th February 2012

I hope someone can advise.

Many Thanks
john C

I must say many thanks again to T Valko & jproffer for your replies,,
& Rick Rothstein....

As a note,, Tom's formula does the trick for me.
I was just wanting to put some words infront of the date etc.

I see you guys are well,, kind of converting it all to text.

I'm not sure why anyone would need to do this?
Biff and I posted the formulas we did because you said this in your original message...

"It's meant to say;
Today, The Day & Date Is:- Monday 13th February 2012"

Note the "th" ordinal suffix that you used after the day number. That "th" after the 13 is impossible to get using Cell Formatting, so we gave you a formula solution that calculated the proper ordinal suffix and the only way to display a number with an ordinal suffix is if the returned value is Text. Well, I shouldn't say "the only way" because I can format the date using an ordinal suffix on the day number and still keep the cell value a number using VBA event code, but it did not seem like you were after a VBA coded solution.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Biff and I posted the formulas we did because you said this in your original message...

"It's meant to say;
Today, The Day & Date Is:- Monday 13th February 2012"

Note the "th" ordinal suffix that you used after the day number. That "th" after the 13 is impossible to get using Cell Formatting, so we gave you a formula solution that calculated the proper ordinal suffix and the only way to display a number with an ordinal suffix is if the returned value is Text. Well, I shouldn't say "the only way" because I can format the date using an ordinal suffix on the day number and still keep the cell value a number using VBA event code, but it did not seem like you were after a VBA coded solution.
Related...

You can use conditonal formatting to display ordinals in Excel 2007 and later.

Upvote 0
Many many thanks Rick Rothstein & T.Valko again for explaining.

It was getting late last night.
I didn't even notice the different returned values from your formulas & Tom's!! :)

I do like the "th" part of the date showing.

So,, I'll go with;
Code:
="Today, The Day & Date Is:- "&TEXT(NOW(),"dddd d")&MID("thstndrdth",MIN(9,2*RIGHT(DAY(NOW()))*(MOD(DAY(NOW())-11,100)>2)+1),2)&TEXT(NOW()," mmmm yyyy")
I'm not too sure if this is more ,, shall we say efficient (better?) than the other suggestion,, I just liked the look of it more , hehe ;)

It is quite a long code still to just get the "th2 showing,, what a bummer,,
Maybe excel developers might fix this (add this) in a newer version ?/

Many thanks again.

All the best

John Caines

Upvote 0
Related...

You can use conditonal formatting to display ordinals in Excel 2007 and later.
I did a fast look at Conditional Formatting on my copy of XL2007 and did not see an option for ordinals. Maybe I looked too quickly? Can you give me (and the OP) an idea how to do this? I tried the help files for Excel 2007 but found them somewhat "wanting" as compared to XL2003.

Upvote 0
I did a fast look at Conditional Formatting on my copy of XL2007 and did not see an option for ordinals. Maybe I looked too quickly? Can you give me (and the OP) an idea how to do this? I tried the help files for Excel 2007 but found them somewhat "wanting" as compared to XL2003.
There's not a predefined rule for ordinals. You have to create the custom formats and then use formulas to apply the format.

For example, to set a date to display as mmm d"ordinal" yyyy:

Sheet1

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 72px"><COL style="WIDTH: 117px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">1</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Date</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Jan 31st 2012</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">2</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; COLOR: #ffffff; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">_</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; COLOR: #ffffff; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">_</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Ordinal</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Custom Format</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">4</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">st</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">mmm d"st" yyyy</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">5</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">nd</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">mmm d"nd" yyyy</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">6</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">rd</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">mmm d"rd" yyyy</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">7</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">th</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">mmm d"th" yyyy</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
B1 contains the standard date 1/31/2012 with the ordinal format applied.

Create the formats as noted.

Then use conditional formatting formulas like these to apply the format:

Sheet1

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 45px"><COL style="WIDTH: 430px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 1px solid; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Ordinal</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Formula</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">4</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">st</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">OR(DAY(B1)=1,DAY(B1)=21,DAY(B1)=31)</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">5</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">nd</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">OR(DAY(B1)=2,DAY(B1)=22)</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">6</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">rd</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">OR(DAY(B1)=3,DAY(B1)=23)</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">7</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; TEXT-ALIGN: center">th</TD><TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">OR(AND(DAY(B1)>=4,DAY(B1)<=20),AND(DAY(B1)>=24,DAY(B1)<=30))</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Many thanks for your reply again T.Valko.

I've just tried what you suggested,, I'm not 100% sure exactly what you mean though :( I can't seem to grasp it & do it correctly.

I think I understood most of it...
1st though,, after trying what you suggested,, I think maybe it's easier to just stick with your text formula.
The reason I say this is that that date in the text format is in about 6 different sheets within the workbook).

So,, if I now go with your new idea using conditional formatting,,
I'll have to insert 4 rules for each sheet. (I think)???

I'll show 2 screen shots at the foot of this post
My 1st shot shows how I just went to custom and set up the date format.
Here's where I don't get it.
In the custom format T. Valko,, are you saying I have to create 4 custom formats?
IE.
For st ddd d"st" mmm-yyyy
For nd ddd d"nd" mmm-yyyy
For rd ddd d"rd" mmm-yyyy
For th ddd d"th" mmm-yyyy

Then,, go into conditional formatting & create 4 rules,, ????????
I'm sorry T. Valko,, I don't quite get it, I'm not with it 100%
Sorry.
Your second screen shot showing 4 different formulas,, Where do these go? In the conditional formatting?
but then I don't get how if these were inserted into the conditional formatting part ,, how would they know what the date was? I mean you can only apply 1 custom format to cell C2,, not all 4??

Sorry,, I'm almost with you ,, but not quite,
I'd like to understand exactly what you mean, the exact steps to get it working,
but I just don't quite get it from what you wrote T Valko.
It's not you,, it's me

All the above said,,,
if I am using the date in many tabs,, maybe better I just stick with your text idea?
Code:
="Today Is:- "&TEXT(NOW(),"dddd d")&MID("thstndrdth",MIN(9,2*RIGHT(DAY(NOW()))*(MOD(DAY(NOW())-11,100)>2)+1),2)&TEXT(NOW()," mmmm yyyy")

I'll show screenshots now.
Many thanks for getting back to me on this T.Valko.
I think I best just stick with your text formula.
But,, I'd really like to know exactly what/how to get what you've just posted working.
I'm so near, yet so far!!! :)
Many thanks again
John Caines
Screenshots

Upvote 0
Just to add,,
I've tried various other ways,, trying to interpret what you've suggested T.Valko,, I still can't get it.

I won't elaborate,, as;
1. i'll confuse this post & myself even more :)
2,, If I do explain,, this post would turn into the length of a Shakespearean Novel!!! :)

Many thanks again though T. Valko.
A very frustrated
JC

PS. If you don't have time to expalin,, no worries at all.
I'll just stick with the text formula.
If you do have time,, if you could just bullet point the steps in order,,
so I can see exactly what goes where.

Many thanks,, sorry about this 1,, I really really just can't grasp it yet.:(

I need another coffee,,,black,, with 3 sugars!!

~~~Just an added edit~~
I noticed in my screen shot for cell C2 I have
=TODAY()
Needs to have the text 1st saying;
Today is the:

Again,, I tried a few things,, didn't get it .. I feel like crying,,, :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just to add,,
I've tried various other ways,, trying to interpret what you've suggested T.Valko,, I still can't get it.

I won't elaborate,, as;
1. i'll confuse this post & myself even more :)
2,, If I do explain,, this post would turn into the length of a Shakespearean Novel!!! :)

Many thanks again though T. Valko.
A very frustrated
JC

PS. If you don't have time to expalin,, no worries at all.
I'll just stick with the text formula.
If you do have time,, if you could just bullet point the steps in order,,
so I can see exactly what goes where.

Many thanks,, sorry about this 1,, I really really just can't grasp it yet.:(

I need another coffee,,,black,, with 3 sugars!!

~~~Just an added edit~~
I noticed in my screen shot for cell C2 I have
=TODAY()
Needs to have the text 1st saying;
Today is the:

Again,, I tried a few things,, didn't get it .. I feel like crying,,, :)
You should stay with the worksheet formula as it does exactly what you wanted.

The ordinal formatting was just an aside that's sort of related to the basic subject of this thread.

You pretty much understand what to do so I don't know what kind of problem you're running into.

Here's the process step by step. This method is to display the ordinal day in a date. For example, you enter the date 1/1/2012 and it gets displayed as Jan 1st 2012.

Select a cell, say cell A3
Right click>Format cells
Select Custom
In the little box under Type, enter this format code:

mmm d"st" yyyy

OK

Repeat the process for the other format codes:

mmm d"nd" yyyy
mmm d"rd" yyyy
mmm d"th" yyyy

Now, let's apply this formatting to a cell.

Enter any date in cell A3.

Goto Conditional formatting>Manage rules>New rule>Use a formula to determine which cells to format

Enter this formula in the little box below:

=OR(DAY(A3)=1,DAY(A3)=21,DAY(A3)=31)

Click the Format button
Select the Number tab
Select Custom
Select the code we created earlier: mmm d"st" yyyy
OK>OK

Repeat this process for the other codes and the associated formulas:

Code: mmm d"nd" yyyy
Formula: =OR(DAY(A3)=2,DAY(A3)=22)

Code: mmm d"rd" yyyy
Formula: =OR(DAY(A3)=3,DAY(A3)=23)

Code: mmm d"th" yyyy
Formula: =OR(AND(DAY(A3)>=4,DAY(A3)<=20),AND(DAY(A3)>=24,DAY(A3)<=30))

When you're done just OK out.

Now, test it out by entering some dates in cell A3.

You can also use conditional formatting to display the ordinal for any positive interger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can also use conditional formatting to display the ordinal for any positive interger.
Using different codes and different formulas!

The method described in the other reply is for formatting ordinal days (numbers from 1 to 31) only.

Upvote 0
T.Valko!!!
Finally I've managed to get it working!!!!

Many many thanks for sticking with me on this.
thanks for your step by step instructions,,, I still can't tell you for sure what I done wrong,, most of this I did do,, but I just must have mucked up somewhere in you process you described...Again, many thanks.

(Even with your step by step Instructions,,I still got it wrong several times believe it or not!!):),,, due to school boy errors.
IE.. I was using your cell formula A3,, when I went to Conditional Formatting,,When mine was C2....,, getting tired (that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it!)

I also was trying to add the day in front,,,
So I did it all again with adding ddd in front of the other conditional formatting.
Here;s a screenshot T.Valko

[/code]

Again, many thanks...
I just need to now go through the same process to condition my other sheets.
Actually,, maybe I can do it on the same line in the conditional formatting???

What I mean is,, I conditioned your formulas then applied then to =$C$2
This is for a sheet called ToDo-FULL
I didn't know this,, but if I'm on another sheet,, 1 called TODO-LITE, & I go to conditional formatting,, but from the drop down choose the sheet TODO-FULL,, I've just noticed it lists all the conditional formats for that sheet.
Here's the interesting bit.
It shows the formulas now as;
='ToDo-FULL'!$C$2

So,, my thinking is,,, rather than apply the 4 same rules to the TODO-LITE sheet via your original method,,,
can I not just go back into the original conditional formatting & change the "Applied To" so the rule applies to both sheets???,, so cell C2 for both sheets???????

I'm not sure how it would look like,, but maybe something like;
I choose under Conditional Formatting Rules Manager
It shows, "Show Formatting Rules for current selection" (IE Cell C2)
I've inserted ;
=$C$2
I change this to maybe something like;
='ToDo-FULL'!$C$2,&,='ToDo-LITE'!$C$2
????????Maybe I can't do this? Maybe I've written it wrong?
It's just an idea T.Valko

Then I don't have to start 4 new formulas that are the same,, I just change the applied to so the formula I've just created applies to 2 sheets not 1

Is this possible T. Valko??

Again,,, really appreciate your help on this.
I just couldn't get it.

As a note,, I was thinking of still maybe adding a small bit of text in front of the =(TODAY())
That's in Cell C2. IE,,,,,,,,,, "Today Is:-"
Again,, maybe now with your new custom formatting it's not possible?
As a note,, I've tried;
Code:
Today Is:-(TODAY())
=Today Is:-(TODAY())
="Today Is:-"(TODAY())
="&TEXTToday Is:-"(TODAY())
="Today Is:-",(TODAY())
="Today Is:-" (TODAY())
=Today Is:-(TODAY(),
===================
None worked,, just a thought,,tried to wing it again

I need a cup of tea.
I'll say it again,,
many thanks for this T.Valko.
The spreadsheet is starting to really look sexy now,, well,, maybe not sexy,, but hey,,it's getting there.

All the best
A very Grateful
John Caines

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KMGLarson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back