Exceeded data points for a chart

wads

I am trying to chart around 48,000 rows of data with a two data points per row for the X and Y axis. I've run into a problem that I never thought I would which is that apparently there is a limit of 32,000 data points for any 2-D chart. Is there a way to get around this?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
The limit is 32,000 "data points in a data series for 2-D charts". Just divide your data into 2 or more groups and plot using separate SERIES.

Upvote 0
I am not quite sure how to put it into two data series and have it be one continous plotted line. Can you give me more detail?

Upvote 0
Simply select a set of X,Y values that contains less than 32,000 points and drag them to a blank X-Y (Scatter) chart. Copy/Paste Special... as New Series for succeeding sets until all points are plotted.
Format all data points with same data marker style.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-05-15 12:15

Upvote 0
Thanks Mark W. I tried to do what you said and was successful in getting the data added to the chart. Unfortunately it is not one continous line. The line for the second series at the same point as the first and are plotted separately.

Upvote 0
You didn't say anything about connecting lines -- I thought you were just plotting points! In that case...

Suppose you want to plot...

{"X","Y"
;1,4
;2,2
;3,8
;4,4
;5,7
;6,1
;7,9
;8,3
;9,2}

...as 2 separate SERIES with a continuous connecting line. Just make sure that there's a common endpoint shared by each SERIES. For example, you can plot...

{1,4
;2,2
;3,8
;4,4}

...as the 1st SERIES and then add...

{4,4
;5,7
;6,1
;7,9
;8,3
;9,2}

...as the 2nd. Then as before format all data points with same data marker and line style.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-05-15 17:02

Upvote 0
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your solution. Can you Please let me know if we can create an adin to perform this task. I will need to perform this task on a regular basis.

Thanks in Advance!!

Upvote 0
Hi All,

What can I do if I really need to plot the data in the same series. For example because then I need to obtain a trendline and I do not want to have two, as the two series may look quite different form each other?

Cheers!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back