Excel and Atom Feeds

arkusM

Does anyone know how to access Atom data feeds through Excel? The data I am trying to get at is on a secure server, so I also need authentication, but I am having trouble finding examples through a google search.

Cheers

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Accessing and reading ATOM feed example, it's the same as for other XML feeds:

Code:
Sub ReadAtomXML()
Dim xmlReq As ServerXMLHTTP60
Dim xmlDoc As MSXML2.DOMDocument
Dim root As IXMLDOMElement, myNode As IXMLDOMElement
Dim i As Long, n As Long

Set xmlReq = New ServerXMLHTTP60
xmlReq.Open "GET", "http://allboxing.ru/atom.xml"
xmlReq.send

If xmlReq.Status <> 200 Then
    MsgBox xmlReq.statusText: Exit Sub
Else
    Set xmlDoc = New MSXML2.DOMDocument
    xmlDoc.LoadXML xmlReq.responseText
End If

If xmlDoc.parseError.ErrorCode <> 0 Then
    MsgBox xmlDoc.parseError.reason
Else
    Set root = xmlDoc.DocumentElement
End If

For i = 0 To root.getElementsByTagName("item").Length - 1
    Set myNode = root.getElementsByTagName("item").Item(i)
    For n = 0 To myNode.ChildNodes.Length - 1
        Debug.Print myNode.ChildNodes(n).Text
    Next n
Next i

End Sub

As for logging in to a secure website, it's hard to give a direction without looking at a particular website. I usually do this kind of task by using the same ServerXMLHTTP60 as you see above to send a POST request with username/email and password, then get a session ID from the server response; then attaching the session ID in ServerXMLHTTP60.setRequestHeader method to keep the session so that the web server won't redirect you back to the login page.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Accessing and reading ATOM feed example, it's the same as for other XML feeds:

As for logging in to a secure website, it's hard to give a direction without looking at a particular website. I usually do this kind of task by using the same ServerXMLHTTP60 as you see above to send a POST request with username/email and password, then get a session ID from the server response; then attaching the session ID in ServerXMLHTTP60.setRequestHeader method to keep the session so that the web server won't redirect you back to the login page.

Wow, you make it sound so simple, but I am out of my depth here for sure.
This is the documentation that is provided not sure if it is helpful
[h=2]Authentication[/h]Web service requests must be made over HTTPS. Requests made to web services over HTTP will be redirected to HTTPS.
Web service requests are authenticated using HTTP Basic Authentication. Typical basic authentication interaction involves the server "challenging" any un-authenticated requests that do not include the "Authorization" header on the request. However, NGX web service requests that do not include a basic authentication "Authorization" header will not receive a challenge response. Instead such a request is redirected to a form based login page. This behaviour exists to force human users using a web browser to authenticate using form based authentication.

In order for your web service client to authenticate using basic authentication, the first HTTPS request must include the "Authorization" header specifying the account credentials to authenticate with. The header for a such a request would look like this:
GET /ngxcs/trade.xml HTTP/1.0 Host: secure.ngx.com Authorization: Basic QWxhZGRpbjpvcGVuIHNlc2FtZQ== </PRE>

Alternatively, a request can be made that forces the basic authentication challenge to occur by adding the request parameter "authType=basic". The header for a such a request would look like this:
GET /ngxcs/trade.xml?authType=basic HTTP/1.0 Host: secure.ngx.com </PRE>
This request would result in a basic authentication challenge that your web service client could then respond to.
[h=2]Atom Feeds[/h]
NGX also provides access to data through Atom feeds. To access the Atom feed for a resource list use the ".atom" extension in the url. For example, to access the Atom feed of trade data use the url: https://secure.ngx.com/ngxcs/trade.atom
Not sure if you can help me beyond this, but thanks what you have provided I appreciate it.
Thanks for your help

Upvote 0
Without login credentials, I cannot test it if this is successful, you please do it

This requires VBE references set to Microsoft XML, v6.0 and Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library.
Put the code into a standard module. In sub Test_login change "mypassword123" and "myusername123" to your actual login name and password and run "Test_login".
The last sub will put a server response (webpage source code) to the clipboard. Paste it into a text editor and see if the login attempt was successful. Please let me know

Code:
Dim SessionID As String, LtValue As String

Public Type Ngx_Session
    SessionID As String
    FormActionURL As String
    LtValue As String
End Type

Sub Test_login()
Dim mySession As Ngx_Session
    Ngx_EstSession mySession
    Debug.Print mySession.FormActionURL
    Debug.Print mySession.SessionID
    Debug.Print mySession.LtValue
    Ngx_Login mySession, "myusername123", "mypassword123"
End Sub

Private Sub Ngx_EstSession(sess As Ngx_Session)
Dim servResp As String
Dim pos As Long

xmlReq.Open "GET", "https://secure.ngx.com/sso/login?service=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.ngx.com%3A443%2Fngxcs%2Fj_spring_cas_security_check%3Bjsessionid%3D8A50ADC364C66CD4CF0CADAA82C79866"
xmlReq.setRequestHeader "User-Agent", "Excel 2002 :)"
xmlReq.setRequestHeader "Connection", "keep-alive"
xmlReq.setRequestHeader "Referer", "https://secure.ngx.com/"
xmlReq.send

If xmlReq.Status <> 200 Then MsgBox "Error occured: " & xmlReq.statusText: Exit Sub

servResp = xmlReq.responseText

sess.SessionID = Split(Replace(xmlReq.getResponseHeader("Set-Cookie"), "JSESSIONID=", ""), ";")(0)

pos = InStr(1, servResp, "action=""", 1) + 8
sess.FormActionURL = "https://secure.ngx.com" & Mid(servResp, pos, InStr(pos, servResp, Chr(34), 1) - pos)
pos = 0

pos = InStr(1, servResp, "name=""lt"" value=""", 1) + 17
sess.LtValue = Mid(servResp, pos, InStr(pos, servResp, Chr(34), 1) - pos)

End Sub

Private Sub Ngx_Login(sess As Ngx_Session, usrName As String, pwd As String)
Dim postBody As String
Dim SessionID As String

postBody = "username=" & usrName & "&" & _
            "password=" & pwd & "&" & _
            "lt=" & sess.LtValue & _
            "&_eventId=submit&submit=Login"

xmlReq.Open "GET", sess.FormActionURL
xmlReq.setRequestHeader "User-Agent", "Excel 2002 :)"
xmlReq.setRequestHeader "Connection", "keep-alive"
xmlReq.setRequestHeader "Referer", "https://secure.ngx.com/sso/login?service=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.ngx.com%3A443%2Fngxcs%2Fj_spring_cas_security_check%3Bjsessionid%3D8A50ADC364C66CD4CF0CADAA82C79866"
xmlReq.setRequestHeader "Cookie", "JSESSIONID=" & sess.SessionID
xmlReq.send postBody

If xmlReq.Status <> 200 Then MsgBox "Error occured: " & xmlReq.statusText: Exit Sub

servResp = xmlReq.responseText

Dim DataObj As New MSForms.DataObject
DataObj.SetText servResp
DataObj.PutInClipboard

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your effort. I'll have to try this opn Monday a this point. But I will definetly let you know, thank you so much..

Upvote 0
Ok So things freeded up and I gave it a go..

I get this Run-time error message:
-2147012867 (80072efd) a connection with the server could not be established.
at this line:

Rich (BB code):
 Private Sub Ngx_EstSession(sess As Ngx_Session)
    xmlReq.send

Could this be a internal network issue?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suppose, it is possible. Could a company firewall or, possibly, your antivirus software blocking this request? Check that, please.

Also make sure that the URL in
xmlReq.Open method was copied properly. Try to change it to
https://www.google.com/ , will this work?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SammMcCandless

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back