Multiple Steps/Criteria with INDEX/MATCH

MattM09

Hey All,

I'm trying to lookup the current status of a subscription in a database if a user has renewed at some point in the past. Each input has an ID, and its chronological. So, in theory, you should be able to lookup the most recent input ID that matches to the renewed customer's subscriber ID.

I tried:

=index($g$2:$g$115744,match($c$7&(IF(SEARCH($C$7,$C$2:$C$115774,0),MAX($A$2:$A$115744),0),$C$2:$C$115744&$A$2:$A$115744,0))

So basically,

1. You have a subscriber ID with multiple entries
2. What is the highest input ID of that given subscriber ID
3. What is the status code of the highest input ID of that given subscriber ID

I know I'm missing something, but not sure what.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Hey All,

I'm trying to lookup the current status of a subscription in a database if a user has renewed at some point in the past. Each input has an ID, and its chronological. So, in theory, you should be able to lookup the most recent input ID that matches to the renewed customer's subscriber ID.

I tried:

=index($g$2:$g$115744,match($c$7&(IF(SEARCH($C$7,$C$2:$C$115774,0),MAX($A$2:$A$115744),0),$C$2:$C$115744&$A$2:$A$115744,0))

So basically,

1. You have a subscriber ID with multiple entries
2. What is the highest input ID of that given subscriber ID
3. What is the status code of the highest input ID of that given subscriber ID

I know I'm missing something, but not sure what.

Thanks!
Can you post a few rows worth of sample data and tell us what result you expect?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply. Here is a sample:

IDdatesubscriber_ideventattributevalue typevalue_intnew statusis status
14/9/121234renewedorder_idint1234
24/9/121234changestatusint1
5/18/121234changestatusint-1

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

in this scenario, the subscriber 1234 renewed their subscription on 4/9. The system logged that a change was made to active (1) and then in May, they canceled their subscription. I'm trying to produce a formula to go in "Is Status" to say what the current, active status of that subscriber is. I have a formula for anything that isn't a renew event, but am having a hard time figuring that one out. I want it to just say what the value_it is for 5/18/12 as that is the last logged event of that subscriber, and consequently the current status.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply. Here is a sample:

ID
date
subscriber_id
event
attribute
value type
value_int
new status
is status
4/9/12
renewed
order_id
int
4/9/12
change
status
int
5/18/12
change
status
int

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

in this scenario, the subscriber 1234 renewed their subscription on 4/9. The system logged that a change was made to active (1) and then in May, they canceled their subscription. I'm trying to produce a formula to go in "Is Status" to say what the current, active status of that subscriber is. I have a formula for anything that isn't a renew event, but am having a hard time figuring that one out. I want it to just say what the value_it is for 5/18/12 as that is the last logged event of that subscriber, and consequently the current status.

Thanks!
Not sure I understand.

Here's how I interpreted your description:

Find the most recent date for a subscriber and return the corresponding entry from the "Event" column?

Upvote 0
Find the most recent ID (events can happen on the same day, so you have to go by the ID, not the date) for a subscriber and return the corresponding entry from the "value_int" column

Upvote 0
Find the most recent ID (events can happen on the same day, so you have to go by the ID, not the date) for a subscriber and return the corresponding entry from the "value_int" column
You said the dates are in chronological order so the most recent activity will be the last (bottom-most) entry for that subscriber.

Maybe something like this:

=LOOKUP(2,1/(C2:C20=1234),G2:G20)

Upvote 0
could you explain how that works?
I get asked that question often so I wrote a "generic" explanation once and refer to it when asked the question. Here's that explanation:

Let's use this example to demonstrate how this works:

..........A.............B
1.....header.....header

Return the value in column B that corresponds to the *last instance* of 9 in column A.

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A2:A5=9),B2:B5)

This expression will return an array of either TRUE or FALSE:

(A2:A5=9)

A2 = 9 = 9 = TRUE
A3 = 7 = 9 = FALSE
A4 = 9 = 9 = TRUE
A5 = 5 = 9 = FALSE

We then use the divison operation to coerce those logical values to numbers:

A2 = 1 / TRUE = 1
A3 = 1 / FALSE = #DIV/0!
A4 = 1 / TRUE = 1
A5 = 1 / FALSE = #DIV/0!

At this point the formula looks like this:

=LOOKUP(2,{1;#DIV/0!;1;#DIV/0!),B2:B5)

The way that LOOKUP works is if the lookup_value is greater than all the values in the lookup_vector it will match the *last* value in the lookup_vector that is less than the lookup_value.

The *last* value in the lookup_vector that is less than the lookup_value is the second 1. The #DIV/0! errors are ignored. We use a lookup_value of 2 because we know that the result of this expression:

1/(A2:A5=9)

will not return a value greater than 1.

This is how that would look:

1.....header.....header
3...#DIV/0!.......12
5...#DIV/0!.......16

So, the *last instance* of 9 was in A4. Return the corresponding value from B4.

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A2:A5=9),B2:B5) = 15

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I get asked that question often so I wrote a "generic" explanation once and refer to it when asked the question. Here's that explanation:

Let's use this example to demonstrate how this works:

1.....header.....header

Return the value in column B that corresponds to the *last instance* of 9 in column A.

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A2:A5=9),B2:B5)

This expression will return an array of either TRUE or FALSE:

(A2:A5=9)

A2 = 9 = 9 = TRUE
A3 = 7 = 9 = FALSE
A4 = 9 = 9 = TRUE
A5 = 5 = 9 = FALSE

We then use the divison operation to coerce those logical values to numbers:

A2 = 1 / TRUE = 1
A3 = 1 / FALSE = #DIV/0!
A4 = 1 / TRUE = 1
A5 = 1 / FALSE = #DIV/0!

At this point the formula looks like this:

=LOOKUP(2,{1;#DIV/0!;1;#DIV/0!),B2:B5)

The way that LOOKUP works is if the lookup_value is greater than all the values in the lookup_vector it will match the *last* value in the lookup_vector that is less than the lookup_value.

The *last* value in the lookup_vector that is less than the lookup_value is the second 1. The #DIV/0! errors are ignored. We use a lookup_value of 2 because we know that the result of this expression:

1/(A2:A5=9)

will not return a value greater than 1.

This is how that would look:

1.....header.....header
3...#DIV/0!.......12
5...#DIV/0!.......16

So, the *last instance* of 9 was in A4. Return the corresponding value from B4.

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A2:A5=9),B2:B5) = 15

This is very helpful, however the data needs to be re-sorted for another function which would then make this not work. Is there another way? Could I just lock the cells after the original computation perhaps?

Upvote 0
This is very helpful, however the data needs to be re-sorted for another function which would then make this not work. Is there another way? Could I just lock the cells after the original computation perhaps?
If the data gets resorted then the only thing I can think of is to look for the most recent date for the subscriber ID.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back