Personal Macro screwups

thefrasers

Board Regular
For reasons I cannot fathom, my personal macros, which were nicely assigned to buttons on my toolbar and which did really difficult things like toggling between manual and auto calc, no longer seem to work. I have a macro worksheet in the xlstart folder, but the macros on the command bar become assigned to a directory reference rather than the open worksheet. Consequently, it tells me the worksheet is already open and it won't run the macro. I have no idea why this is now happening since it never used to. I can get the macros to work by terminating the hidden worksheet or by manually reassigning but this seems rather bizarre and is a real pain.

Instead of simply referring to the PMAC.xls macro (my personal macro) worksheet, when I examine each button the macro source has some reference like...

'C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\xlstart\PMAC.XLS'!ToggleCalc

I can reassign the macros to the open worksheet, but then after I reopen later, the same problem reoccurs. Can anyone let me know what's going on, and even better why its changed?

Cheers.
Peter

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
I've narrowed down the issue; If I open a workbook using the New Office Document dialog box (load a blank worksheet and then the one I want to work on), then the Macros work fine. However, if I use the 'Open Office Document' dialog box then the problems outlined earlier occur. What on earth is going on?
Peter

Upvote 0
Okay,

I've solved the problem, but still no idea what was going on. Having used 'open office document' to bring up an old file, if I subsequently reassign all the macros and save it again, then when I next use 'open office document' my macros work again. This seems to have something to do with saving your personal workbook file. I saved my macro file to a stand-alone portable hard drive, and it screwed up my macros even using the 'open <i>new</i> office document' dialog. I solved this using the same procedure; open a blank document, reassign the macros to the right place, and then save it. Next time I used the dialog, the macros are OK. Which is nice... but does anybody know what the problem was?

Regards,
Peter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebc9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back