Advanced Conditional Formatting

dimitrz

Board Regular
Hi All,

I am perplexed with a Conditional Formatting requirement

I have a tracker and one of the columns need to be updated religiously – and if it doesn’t happen then I want that cell to be highlighted in RED colour (ie if a cell in that column is blank then it would be highlighted in red colour)

Now if I place a normal conditional formatting then all the blank cells in that column would be highlighted even in the rows which have not yet been filled – this makes the entire exercise effective since instead of say two or three highlighted cell which stands out there is a entire series of cells in the column marked in the same colour ( view example 2)

Is there a way by which if the Cell in the respective column (lets say Department) is Blank then the cell is highlighted but only if that particular Row is active (i.e. lets say there is some data in row like the Name Column is active with any of any Technician )

If the Name column is Blank then whether the Department column remains blank or not is immaterial so no highlighting should happen then.

Name - Date –Time- Issue – Department

Sample excel link
http://www.excelforum.com/excel-general/655312-advanced-conditional-formatting.html#post1966728

Image of the excel sample here
http://picasaweb.google.com/Mysticlama/Learning#5244750917771167458

Thanks

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
To highlight F2 only if A2:E2 contain entries, Condition 1 Formula is:

=AND(ISBLANK(F2),COUNTA(A2:E2)=COLUMNS(A2:E2))

Upvote 0
Ooops Andrew a slight problemo

Slight problem with this code

Code:
 =AND(ISBLANK(F3),COUNTA(A3:E3)=COLUMNS(A3:E3))

------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
In my tracker

Cloumn position

A--------------BCDE-----------------------------------N
Name------Auto Date (always has some data)---------Priority

-----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------

When the Name is selcted from the drop down menu the Date and Time are auto insterted due to a macro (they are further refrenced to cell D & E to protect B & C which is hidden) The Priority Column is Placed at "N" and the Name Column is at "A"

So all that I want is the formula to check if there is any data in Column A " Name field" and if there is data there and no data in column "N" Priority then the Priority cell should be highlighted

The formulas should not take B,C,D&E into consideration since there is always some data there.

I did try few changes here and there in the formula but nothing worked.

Can you please check this and if possible advise me how the formula parameter works so that I could understand how the formula worksl.

In Brief

Cloumn position

A BCDE N
Name Auto Date (always has some data) Priority

I have updated the sample in the Cross post site

Upvote 0
Forgot to mention why I need the formula to check only the first column for data.

Since Column B/C/D/E has some data always then the present formula results in an error wherein the Column “N” Priority goes RED through out – just as if using the Conditional Formatting without the formula – so we are back to square one.

I found this problem when I tested it in the real tracker in terms of column positions which is closer to the latest on attached in Joseph’s Excel forum.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cl2130

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back