Dictionary object and multidimensional array

Al Chara

MrExcel MVP
I have data in a dictionary object and need to load it into a two column listbox. The VBA help says you can load data into a multicolumn listbox from a 2D array. So my question is how can I extract the data from a dictionary object directly into a 2D array.

The dictionary object stores data in key and item pairs. So the 2D array would have one dimension for the keys and the other for the items. I want to do this without having to extract the items and keys into separate 1D arrays and then loop through them to build the 2D array.

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Why not just add the arrays in two steps? Depending on how you want to add the data, transform the arrays with Worksheetfunction.Transpose(). You may need to Resize the Range.

If you need help with an example, post back.

Upvote 0
Hi Kenneth,

You are right; I can do it with more than one step. I already wrote the code to combine the two 1D arrays into a 2D array. But I was hoping that someone knew of a way to extract a 2D array directly from the dictionary object.

Nbrcrunch, thanks for your response. I think we are talking about different dictionary objects. I am using the Dictionary object from the Microsoft Scripting Runtime library.

Upvote 0
What I was thinking was that you could write the two arrays to 2 columns in a New sheet. You can then get the data as a 2 dimensional array. The last step would be to hide the sheet or delete it. I call this the scratchpad method.

I would have to run some time tests to determine if or when the scatchpad method becomes more efficient than the iterative array method and AddItem.

A 2nd scratchpad method becomes even more attractive since you are using a Userform anyway. You can add a spreadsheet control and poke the data into it in two steps as in the first method. You can then get your List for the Listbox from that Spreadsheet control's UsedRange. Like the 1st scratchpad method, you can add or unhide the Spreadsheet control to do the scratch work and then delete or hide that control.

Upvote 0
Kenneth,not sure if it is necessary to use the Excel scratchpad method. Here is a snipet of the code that I am using.
<code>
myArray1 = myDict.Keys
myArray2 = myDict.Items
ReDim myArray(LBound(myArray1) To UBound(myArray1), 0 To 1)
For i = LBound(myArray1) To UBound(myArray1)
myArray(i, 0) = myArray1(i)
myArray(i, 1) = myArray2(i)
Next i
ListBox5.List() = myArray
</code>
As you can see I am creating two 1D arrays (myArray1 and myArray2) from the Dictionary object (myDict) and combining them into one 2D array (myArray). Then I populate the ListBox with myArray.

I am looking for a way to create the 2D array directly from the dictionary object and avoid having to create the two 1D arrays.

Upvote 0
That is the way that I would do it too. Combining as you have is probably your best bet. Array iterations are usually pretty fast.

Of course if you have a large amount of data, the scratchpad method might be a bit faster. As I said, I just don't know without testing. If I get time tomorrow, I may work up a short example to test speed.

Upvote 0
Hi Al, Kenneth

This worked for me:

Code:
ListBox5.List = Application.Transpose(Array(dic.Keys, dic.Items))

Upvote 0
Thanks for the idea pgc! Good to know for sure.

That method was not shown in the help. Occasionally, I find commands that can be used in ways that the help does not detail. Commands are usually documented well.

I would call that the Splice method. If we had Slice method for arrays, it would make some things easier. It is one area where I like the array functions in PerfectScript better than other programming languages.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Al, Kenneth

I'm sorry nbrcrunch, I didn't mean to leave you out, I simply didn't see your post when I read the thread.

I would call that the Splice method. If we had Slice method for arrays, it would make some things easier. It is one area where I like the array functions in PerfectScript better than other programming languages.

Kenneth

You don't have a vba "slice" function, but if it's a 2 column array, like in the case we have in this thread you can use the worksheet function Index()

Ex.

Code:
Sub TestArray()
Dim v(1 To 3, 1 To 4), u, t

v(1, 2) = 4
v(2, 1) = 5
v(3, 3) = 6
v(2, 3) = 8

With Application
    t = .Index(v, 0, 3)
    u = .Transpose(.Index(v, 0, 3))
End With
End Sub

t and u get the third column of the array v:

t is a 2 dimensions array (1 to 3,1 to 1)
t(1,1) = Empty
t(2,1) = 8
t(3,1) = 6

u is a 1 dimension array
u(1) = Empty
u(2) = 8
u(3) = 6

But I agree with you, vba lacks functions to manipulate arrays directly.

One other is the ability to redimension the array, you can only redimension the last dimension. Again if it's an array with 2 dimensions you can use the worksheet functions.

Ex., you can redimension a dynamic array (1 to 3, 1 to 4) to (1 to 3, 1 to 6), but you cannot redimension directly an array (1 to 3, 1 to 4) to (1 to 5, 1 to 4) as ReDim only lets you redimension the last dimension. You can use the worksheet function Transpose() to do it:

Code:
Sub TestArray()
Dim v, v1

ReDim v(1 To 3, 1 To 4)

' some code

With Application
    v1 = .Transpose(v)
    ReDim Preserve v1(1 To 4, 1 To 5)
    v = .Transpose(v1)
End With
End Sub

This way, although not directly you can redimension the first dimension. You probably knew this already, but I'm taking this opportunity to write it all in the same thread to use it as future reference.

Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowinx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back