XLM Macro Language

Pete_Bristol

Board Regular
Hi,

Please can anybody help?

I used to know all of this stuff yonks ago (but have since long forgotten!) but please can somebody point me towards a reference/list/website to the old XLM macro language, specifically the GET command?

I have search the internet for hours and hours and amazingly just cannot find anything - well apart from the official microsoft help files (macrofun.exe) but unfortunately when these are downloaded they check for a specific version of Excel which I dont have and therefore wont install.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Pete

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
I still have Excel4 Function Reference book, among others, would you believe (and a working version of Excel 5).

Interestingly the old versions of Word & Excel run OK from copied files/folders (no need to install after the first time. no registry or win.ini entries). We get prompted for missing .dll's the first time, these can be found and copied to the main folder.

I still use an old Word2 document containing macros that do look ups in a set of documents that I have not had to change or upgrade (thank heaven).

In answer to your query, if you go here you can download macrofun.exe which is the zipped macro help file which runs on its own. If you have problems I can email a copy ( PM me your address). I have just opened it via winzip without problem. I don't think it looks for Excel because, although I use XL2000 the old version is not registered anywhere.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/128185

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A year late to this party but couldn't avoid chiming in as the 2nd Brian B on the thread and with a similar question about my continuing search for some decoupled help/glossary file for xlm language.

I'm running on a Mac so none of the linked files in this thread will help. I'm not necessarily looking for a file that can be reached by clicking the help tab in Excel. A .pdf or .doc or webaddress or whatever would be handy.

Meanwhile Problem of the moment is I can't find the right syntax to get the macro to change workbooks.

The only reference I have is for Excel 2.2 which i think is before there were files with multiple worksheets. So the reference talks about changing worksheets but I think that would be the equivalent of changing workbooks nowadays.

In any event, after some digging I find that the manual says all you have to do is name the worksheet followed by an exclamation point before the reference. I'm trying to use the SELECT() function although all the examples I find in the manual are FORMULA.GOTO()

the syntax examples they call out are

=FORMULA.GOTO(Worksheet1!A1)
or
=FORMULA.GOTO("Worksheet1!R1C1")

I've tried both styles of references with SELECT and FORMULA.GOTO to move to an open document. I tried substituting both the name of the workbook and the name of the worksheet within the workbook and putting them together separated by a period and then gave up and hit the internet.

I'm running 2004 on a Mac.

Thanks,

Brian B

Upvote 0
Use the ACTIVATE function, to activate the window with the required workbook.

Upvote 0
If you are running 2004, can you not use VBA instead of XLM? (Or do you need compatibility with 2008?)

Upvote 0
Use the ACTIVATE function, to activate the window with the required workbook.

Glenn,

that's the trick. references that are rejected in the SELECT and GOTO function work fine in ACTIVATE. I don't get why but that problem solved.

If you're still watching, here's the next one. What is the command for SELECT.ALL() just made that up, or maybe SELECT(All) or . . . ? since neither of those works. On my Mac that is a function accessed with the command and A key.

What I'm trying to do is quickly select all the cells with entries in a worksheet and reformat them using the FORMAT.FONT function to a different font and font size.

thanks,

brian

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
owais87

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back