Count words in multiple cells

davidazevedo

Hello,

I work as a wedding planner and sometimes people send me the names list and forget to count the people or simply miscount. Is there a way to count the names?

For example, I would have in cell a1 trought a5:

romeo and juliet
brad and angelina
ashton and demi
bruce
Chico, Harpo and Groucho

The total at this table would be 10 persons.

Is there a formula that counts words that have more that 3 letters?

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Hello & Welcome to the Board,

If the word to exclude is always "and", this should work...

=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(A1:A5)+1-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(A1:A5)," ","")))-SUMPRODUCT((LEN(A1:A5)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1:A5,"and","")))/LEN("and"))

Upvote 0
Thank you for your fast reply.

This formula will not work because I'm using a spanish and portuguese version of MS excel. Do you know the equivalent for these languages?

There's also a problem which I didn't think of before. If a person is called Jennifer Lopez it will count as two. Is it possible to simply count the "and" as 2, the "," (comma) as 3 and if there is text with no "and" nor "," simply count 1.

Upvote 0
Try text to columns, with the space as the delimiter. This will at least get you names in individual cells.

You could then use countif() to count names > 3 characters, or manually edit to take out erroneous data.

Upvote 0
Jeff, Neat..
Check out where I've layed out the components of your single formula;
How can I get from the components to the final answer of 10? Tks, Jim
Excel Workbook
ABC
1romeo and juliet10
2brad and angelina
3ashton and demi
4bruce17
5Chico, Harpo and Groucho143
Sheet1
Excel 2007
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(A1:A5)+1-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(A1:A5)," ","")))-SUMPRODUCT((LEN(A1:A5)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1:A5,"and","")))/LEN("and"))
B6=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(A1:A5))
C5=B4-B5
#VALUE!
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.

Upvote 0
@Jason,
Thanks for the link to the version translations...great resource.

@davidazevedo,
If you look at my sig block you will see an HTML maker which you can use to post a screen shot of what you have and what you desire.

Please take a second look at all your requirements so we can try and get you the best solution possible. With the > 3 you stated, what if you have the names Sue and Jim?

Maybe you can send a list out to collect names asking for two columns, First name and Last name which will help keep your data organized and will eliminate any "and's" or "comma's". Example: What if you receive back Peter , Paul and Mary? See the space after Peter and before the comma. This will cause a problem.

Check out this site which might help you tremendously. Plan Your Party Seating with Excel. Something to consider to make your life easier.

@Jim,
Not exactly sure what you are asking. Why add up all the components when the formula in B1 gives the correct answer?

Upvote 0
Jeff, you misunderstood my message;

I was trying to break-down you formula so that I could understand it;

Jim

Upvote 0
Somehow the consolidated formula takes B4, B5, B6 and B7 and produces 10. I wasn't able to piece the 4 together to get the answer of 10...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back