How does this work?

slay0r

Board Regular
Hey guys,

I've been asked to reproduce a report that already exists in an access database. The report uses all the same data, I just need to add in a column of data (it currently shows 60 day data, I just need to reduce it down to 45 day data)

Considering I'm absolutely useless on access, how would I go about that looking at the following screenshot? http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=dr9yyd&s=5

It's the outstanding until end of month over £1000 with the excel sticker next to it. My knowledge of access is non existant. I'm guessing the tables are the data, the forms are to enter data and the queries are on the data that feeds into the reports have I got that right? :s

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
You would have to go to the query that the button links to. Once you edit the query, change the name of the command button (button that the user clicks on).

To find which query the button links to, go to the form design view (press "alt" → "v" → "d"). Right click on the button, go to "Properties". Jot down the text in the "Name" row. Click on the "Code" button at the center top of the window (looks like a ring). Do a search and find for the text you found in the "Name" row. This will tell you which query the button is linked to

Upvote 0
Sorry for the late reply, had a couple of weeks out of work that were unexpected. Thanks for the quick response at the time.

How would I go about finding the correct query for that particular button? There's currently 10+ buttons and there's about 50 queries so I'm not really sure where I should start in that sense. Is there a way of seeing which queries run into it?

Upvote 0
Ah balls. Ignore previous posts I have no idea why I misread your post but you answered the question in the first place (blaming being hit by a car)

I've done what you said and it gave me "command19" as the name. There is a drop down box with all of these in them, are they all connected too or do I just need 19? When I click code and search 19 all I get is:

Code:
Private Sub Command19_Click() ' Outstanding Until End of Month over £1000 Threshold by Value, Grouped by Section
Dim stDocName As String
    stDocName = "rptEOMbyValue+Section2ovr1000"
    DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview
    TagButton "Outstanding Until End of Month over £1000 Threshold by Value, Grouped by Section"
End Sub

Where do I go from here?

Upvote 0
You next follow the trail to this report (which presumably exists in the same database) and it's query source:
rptEOMbyValue+Section2ovr1000

Possibly you can then edit the query that the report is based on. Or better, copy it and create a new report based on a new query so you don't lose the original. You have to be careful here - if you just edit the query you may also affect other processes that use that query. So it's best to create a new query and a new report unless you are sure there are no dependencies.

Upvote 0
I think this uses a lot of reports by the looks of it. I had a thought though when I saw it, I'm just scared of doing it with my limited access knowledge, would the object dependancies show me which other reports it uses? (as in the structure of where all the data comes from and which reports are used to create the final version?)

Thanks for the reply!

When I say report I probably mean table? Sorry my technical language is atrocious. The tables the report creates itself from is what I meant to say!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm just scared of doing it with my limited access knowledge

I actually would *not* recommend doing any serious work in Access without some training first - it's a complex program that requires knowledge of SQL, database design principles, and the Access program itself (as with Excel, many people just start using it without any training, since it is a readily accessible program, but the results can be a bit underwhelming). I consider it takes a good 3-6 months to get up to speed in Access, and that's for quick learners.

As far as reports, tables go - reports generally are based on queries but all data comes from tables somewhere. It's better to use a query even if the query simply pulls data straight from a table. But a report can be based directly on a table - it pretty much works the same way. You'll either have a table name, a query name, or a SQL command text as the report data source.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help Xenou, I'd love for it to be an option for me not to do it! :P Unfortunately that's not the case so I'll just have to be a very quick learner (lucky there's a report that I'm duplicating so it should be a bit easier)

Upvote 0
No problem. Maybe you'll become an Access junkie like me (assuming it's a positive experience!)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noor fatima

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back