Excel Longest Word of Cell Formula

bsimecek

I am trying to find a formula that will return the longest word in a cell. Each cell in question has a sentance like structure. I have found VBA code to do this, but I'm trying to find a formula.

Here is the VBA code:

Function LongestWord(str) As String
' Returns the longest word in a string of words
Dim x As Variant
Dim i As Long
str = Application.Trim(str)
x = Split(str, " ")
LongestWord = x(0)
For i = 1 To UBound(x)
If Len(x(i)) > Len(LongestWord) Then
LongestWord = x(i)
End If
Next i
End Function

Anyone have any Ideas?

Where have you put the code for the function?

It should be in a new module, goto Insert>Module while in VBE and put code in the new module.

It should appear on the function list under the category User defined.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Thanks!
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life!

Give a man fire, he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life! :LOL:

Upvote 0
bsimecek - your error happened becouse there is a slight error in the first line when declaring the function.

Change it to Function LongestWord(ByVal str As String)

this is how it will work. (Office 2003 + WinXPPro tested.)

I would suggest that you add this user formula to your default excell template so it is loaded everytime you start excel. The forum has many articles describing how to do it.

In your default excel template:

Alt + F11 - open VBE
instert a module into your template
insert the code:

<font face=Courier New>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN> LongestWord(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> str <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>)
            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Returns the longest word in a string of words</SPAN>
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> x <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN>
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>
            x = Split(str, " ")
            LongestWord = x(0)
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(x)
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Len(x(i)) > Len(LongestWord) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
            LongestWord = x(i)
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN>

</FONT>

press F4 to rename the module and give it a sounding name

Save and Close your work.

next time you open excel this function can be used just like Sum(A1:A2) and can be found in the User Defined Functions:)

Take care

Upvote 0
Hi

If you want to use native formula, try:

=MID(A1,LEN(A1)+1-MATCH(MAX(FIND(" ",(RIGHT(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))))&" "))),FIND(" ",(RIGHT(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))))&" ")),0),MAX(FIND(" ",(RIGHT(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))))&" ")))-1)

Needs to be entered with Ctrl + shift + enter.

Upvote 0
Guys, Fairwinds - here we get into a very interesting subject....

Any idea how to make both, the formula and the UDF LongestWord, work with ranges?

That would be interesting:)

Upvote 0
If you mean an aray with one word in each cell:

=INDEX(A1:A10,MATCH(MAX(LEN(A1:A10)),LEN(A1:A10),0))

(Ctrl + shift + enter)

If you mean an array with several words in each cell, I would not even try doing it with one single formula.

Upvote 0
Fairwinds, - you are right, to have a bunch of nested array formulas might turn into a living hell:)

I played with the code a bit and came up with this one modification of the a.m. formula, which is calculating all the cells in a specified range, even if there are some empty cells in the range.

I am sure the code might be written smoother, but this one works for me, I would be glad to digest a healthy portion of criticism.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN> ShowLongestWord(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> rng <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> str <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> x <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> LongestWord <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN>
            ShowLongestWord = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Empty</SPAN>
                 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> rng
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> IsEmpty(c) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> empty_c:
                        str = c
                        x = Split(str, " ")
                        LongestWord = x(0)
                        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(x)
                        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Len(x(i)) > Len(LongestWord) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
                        LongestWord = x(i)
empty_c:
                        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i
                                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Len(LongestWord) > Len(ShowLongestWord) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
                                ShowLongestWord = LongestWord
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> c
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN>
</FONT>

Upvote 0
Yes, there is. Just introduce another variable, call it second longest and introduce another IF statement, which will compare and save results.

Just another level in evaluation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobmudombe

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back