Passing ParamArray to Function (VBA)

neonangel

Board Regular
Hi all,

I've re-worded a previous post on this topic as it remains unresolved:
http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=120830

I'm writing a function that will accept a ParamArray (ie a variable number of arrays) and automatically redirect that array to be sorted by one of two sort functions based on its size.

My BubbleSort function, declared as:

Code:
Sub BubbleSort(Ascending As Boolean, ParamArray Arr() As Variant)

will correctly sort the three arrays RndNos, Names and Order, based on the order of RndNos, and I call it with:

Code:
Call BubbleSort(True, RndNos, Names, Order)

When I use the following wrapper, however:

Code:
Sub BubbleSortWrapper(Ascending As Boolean, ParamArray Arr() As Variant) 
    Dim tmpArr As Variant 

tmpArr = Arr() 
    Call BubbleSort(Ascending, tmpArr) 
    Arr() = tmpArr 
End Sub

with BubbleSort now declared as:

Code:
Sub BubbleSort(Ascending As Boolean, Arr As Variant)

(where tmpArr appears to be necessary to transfer the ParamArray to the next function) I encounter the following problem:

At the end of the BubbleSortWrapper function, Arr is sorted exactly as I want it to be. But upon returning to the calling function, none of the array values have changed!

I find this result interesting as the original call to BubbleSort sorted the arrays correctly, ByRef, so somehow, converting the ParamArray to a Variant and backagain seems to have changed it to ByVal?

This one's been stumping me for some time.. any ideas?

Regards,

Alex

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hmmm, you're still not doing what I asked you to try:

Let Arr = BubbleSort(Ascending, tmpArr)

Upvote 0
If you don't want to create a sort function, why all the song and dance with tmpArr? Why not just pass Arr to each sort routine? And, yes, you will have to redefine each sort routine to use a paramarray argument.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your persistance NateO.. I'm still not understanding exactly what it is you want me to try..

I tried using:
Code:
Sub BubbleSortWrapper(Ascending As Boolean, ParamArray Arr() As Variant)
Dim tmpArr As Variant

tmpArr = Arr()
    Let Arr = BubbleSort(Ascending, tmpArr)
End Sub

with:
Code:
Function BubbleSort(Ascending As Boolean, Arr As Variant) As Variant
' Sorts arrays Arr based on Arr1 in Asc order using the bubble sort algorithm
Dim tmpArr() As Variant
Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer

On Error Resume Next ' Handle optional arrays
    ReDim tmpArr(0 To UBound(Arr)) ' One temporary storage element for each array
    For i = LBound(Arr(0)) To UBound(Arr(0))
        For j = 1 To UBound(Arr(0)) - i
            If IIf(Ascending, Arr(0)(j + 1) < Arr(0)(j), Arr(0)(j + 1) > Arr(0)(j)) Then
                For k = LBound(Arr) To UBound(Arr)
                    tmpArr(k) = Arr(k)(j + 1)
                    Arr(k)(j + 1) = Arr(k)(j)
                    Arr(k)(j) = tmpArr(k)
                Next k
            End If
        Next j
    Next i
    BubbleSort = Arr
End Function

to no avail. Using:
Code:
Function BubbleSortWrapper(Ascending As Boolean, ParamArray Arr() As Variant) As Variant
Dim tmpArr As Variant

tmpArr = Arr()
    BubbleSortWrapper = BubbleSort(Ascending, tmpArr)
End Function

with the calling function using:
Code:
Dim tmp As Variant
tmp = BubbleSortWrapper(True, RndNos, Names, Order)
and the BubbleSort declared as a Sub as before rather than a function DOES provide me with the sorted output correctly, but I would then have to unpack tmp into the original Arrays (RndNos, Names and Order in my test example) which would prove to be a disappointingly long task!

The current best solution is simply to decide whether to use bubble sort or quick sort at design time and call the appropriate sorting procedure based on the expected size of the arrays being sorted, rather than writing a cover function to automatically pass the arrays to the appropriate sort function.

This is the easy way out, and was always a reasonable solution, but I have a lingering disappointment at not being able to resolve the problem of passing ParamArray which I would have thought would have been an easy exercise.

C'est la vie. If there are any further suggestions I'd love to continue dialogue over this.

Regards,

Alex

Upvote 0
Try the following:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Function</SPAN> arrSort(<SPAN style="color:darkblue">ByVal</SPAN> myArr <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Variant</SPAN>, _
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Optional</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">ByVal</SPAN> Descend <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Boolean</SPAN>) <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Variant</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN>, j <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN>, LwVl <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">For</SPAN> i = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">LBound</SPAN>(myArr) <SPAN style="color:darkblue">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">UBound</SPAN>(myArr)
    LwVl = myArr(i)
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">For</SPAN> j = i + 1 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">UBound</SPAN>(myArr)
        <SPAN style="color:darkblue">If</SPAN> Choose(-CInt(Descend) + 1, _
            myArr(j) < LwVl, myArr(j) > LwVl) <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Then</SPAN>
              LwVl = myArr(j)
              myArr(j) = myArr(i)
              myArr(i) = LwVl
        <SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">If</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Next</SPAN>
arrSort = myArr
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Function</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> tester()
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> myArr <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Variant</SPAN>, i <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Let</SPAN> myArr = [{5,22,4,1}]
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Let</SPAN> myArr = arrSort(myArr)
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">For</SPAN> i = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">LBound</SPAN>(myArr) <SPAN style="color:darkblue">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">UBound</SPAN>(myArr)
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Debug</SPAN>.<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Print</SPAN> myArr(i)
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Notice you reassign the sorted array to the array, right here:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Let</SPAN> myArr = arrSort(myArr)</FONT>

It doesn't really look like you need or want ParamArray, so why use it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tileni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back