Copy Cells Removes Sheet Protection

eliz

I have hidden columns on a sheet.
I protect the sheet with a password before I send out the file to a 3rd party. However, it seems that all a user has to do is select the sheet cells, copy and paste onto another sheet or file. The protection is nonexistant and the user is able to unhide the columns.

Am I missing something?
Is there a way to "really" protect a sheet so that a user is unable to unhide confidiential columns? Preferably a method without VBA code.

Thank you!!!

Eliz.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Good evening eliz

Is there a way to "really" protect a sheet so that a user is unable to unhide confidiential columns?

No, Excel's protection really is that rubbish! If you are using Excel 2002 or 2003 you could try protectingt the sheet and unticking the select locked / select unlocked boxes to stop a user selecting (and therefore copying) any cells.

The best alternative would be to make your spreadsheet into a .pdf file - then no-one would be able to get into the hidden columns.

HTH

DominicB

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.. unfortunately, they want an Excel file, PDF won't do.

Upvote 0
Are you sending an Excel book that they continue to work on or is it just your final result that is important? If it is the ladder one you can Copy all cells in the worksheet and Past Special - Past Value, and all your data will be there, but no formulas.

This can be done with a recorded macro and if you store that macro in Personal.XLS then it will not be in that workbook you send out to the 3rd party.

Personal.XLS will be in your computer and you can pull it upp for any worksheet you're working on and run it.

Did this do it?

RAM

Upvote 0
No, I cannot use paste-values.
This is a regular Excel files with formulas, etc.. all I want to do is hide a couple of columns containing confidential data and send it out to the client.

Thanks.

eliz.

Upvote 0
You seem to have a user in the other end that knows how to unhide your hidden columns even if the sheet is password protected. Excel is not a top secure application. Even if a password will keep the majority of users out that doesn't seems to apply to you now.

Even if you requested not using VBA it will make it more secure and very many topics on this board that covers that area. You could use the search and find many.

unfortunately, they want an Excel file, PDF won't do.
Have you asked why?

all I want to do is hide a couple of columns containing confidential data and send it out to the client.
Due to the vunerability of Excel it might not be recommended to include this "confidential data" in the workbook. Can the workbook be sent without it? You could then have the confidential columns in an external workbook, but if you have formulas in the book that refer to this information the formulas will break down when the user open only the main book.

As you can see here I don't really have a fix solution for you. VBA would improve it but not completely.

Upvote 0
Excels does not protect against evil people trying to steal data that isn't theirs. It does protect against clumbsy people who press keys when the cursor is in the wrong cell.

Given my experience with software in general, anyone entrusted with confidential information who depends on software alone to maintian that confidentiality is not being duely diligent. The (bad) people who seek confidential information are as clever as those who try to anticipate and thwart the first group's efforts.

Upvote 0
Good evening eliz

Is there a way to "really" protect a sheet so that a user is unable to unhide confidiential columns?

No, Excel's protection really is that rubbish! If you are using Excel 2002 or 2003 you could try protectingt the sheet and unticking the select locked / select unlocked boxes to stop a user selecting (and therefore copying) any cells.

HTH

DominicB

I use 2003 and this is working for me. It will only allowing users to enter information in a the cells I want them to, and leave my formula's alone.

Upvote 0
Hi bronzeboar

I use 2003 and this is working for me. It will only allowing users to enter information in a the cells I want them to

I dare say it does, but you seem to be missing the point a little here. Excel's protection can be blown apart in less time than it takes you to set it - however board rules forbid me from going further than that.

Bottom line - I would not trust Excel with information I wanted to keep confidential (including hidden rows / columns - protected or not - hidden sheets etc).

DominicB

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back