Excel Jobs?

bheron

Hi all, new to the forum today.

I have kind of an off topic question...

What kind of professions or specific job types allow you to work in Excel ALL DAY? Im serious and asking b/c I would love to have a job where I can be paid to do this stuff 40 hours a week. :)

Are there specfic jobs out there that any of you have where you do this all day? Anyone know what I mean?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
There are lots of opportunities within a finance role (ie accounting) to utilise Excel, however, I think you need to consider what it is about using Excel that you enjoy - I use Excel daily in my job, but it's mostly thru this Board (and others) that I get to practice the really fun stuff...

Hmm, good question.

I'll have to think about what I like most.

My ideal job would be for people to bring me something they do in excel and ask me to help them find a better way to do it. I could some up with a better way, then show them how to do it on their own.

Vague enough?? :)

Welcome to the board!
Excel can be used for many things. It all depends on how you would like to apply it. As Richard had stated, there are lots of opportunities in finance which utilizes excel.

I am a design engineer for a Plastic Injection Molding company and I use excel pretty heavily (although not so much compared to some of the other members of this board). I've used excel to perform simple to complex calculations. I've used VBA to automate some filing issues as well as to interpret and format data that is exported from other programs.

I use Excel like all the time. I have no need for anything else. Basically I monitor charity performance - finance mostly but also other issues for our funders. They give us money, I tell them in ever increasingly pretty ways how we are spending it.

What I am working on at the moment, though is a new expenses form for our staff as I am forever amazed by the number (and ingenuity) of ways that people can fill in a form incorrectly. I am also using this task as a way to improve my skills with VBA.

I have also been tasked with writing a financial procedures handbook which frankly I am dreading because I will have to use text rather than functions. And maybe even ... *whispers* Word ...

All this means I mostly work on my own in the corner, which suits me just fine.

My ideal job would be for people to bring me something they do in excel and ask me to help them find a better way to do it. I could some up with a better way, then show them how to do it on their own.

That's pretty much what I do most of the time. Officially, I'm a bog-standard management accountant. However, I've made so many improvements to the files I inherited, that I only spend the 1st 5 days of the month doing my day job. The rest of the time, I'm improving processes and automating tasks that are done manually. Now if I could just find someone else to take over my month-end tasks, I'll be sorted!

Last edited by a moderator:
H BHeron , Welcome to the Board,

I work within the Logistics sector as a day job , plus i volunteer
as i mentor within Inventory Control.

A daily user of Excel for reporting on , KPI's, P&L, VAT, Pretty
Graphics & much much more !

As Richard states above , you can gain so much out of Excel ,
whatever field you decide to Excell at. Plus , now you are a member
of this board , "The cells are your oyster !!!!!".

Have fun !

Russ

I work in the IT department of a bank and I use Excel anywhere from 50% to 99% of my day, depending on what needs done on any given day. Sadly, I've gotten rather proficient at automating tasks and I end up using Excel less and less.

My favorite thing is showing my co-workers how Excel can make their everyday tasks easier. For some reason that I can't comprehend, they don't like Excel much. ;) It is obviously my fault since I haven't extolled the virtues of Excel often enough. (There's only a little bit of sarcasm in the last sentence.) Most of the time, once I've explained how Excel can make their lives easier, they want me to show them more.

If I only sat at my desk and put numbers into boxes or wrote formulas, however, I'd go nuts. I'm glad my co-workers continually challenge me to make their jobs easier.

As an accountant in a manufacturing company I use Excel for about 90% of my job. Being good at it can have it's down side though... everyone at my factory from HR, Quality, Sales, Purchasing & Engineering come to find me when they have a problem.

Not good when you have your own deadlines...

I'm a management information analyst and use Excel I'd say about 80% of the time. This is more because SAP is so hard to get information out of and I tend to export the data on mass and do my crunching in Excel. I also use it for automated production of reports to pdf and anything else I can do which will help me (slowly) learn a bit more about VBA.

Dom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiecolorado

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back