How to Question - Newbie

bigpoly60

I am starting a new Fantasy Football League. I am wanting to be able to enter players into Sheet 2 as they are picked. And I am wanting those picks to be simultaneously placed on Sheets 3-14 according to their position. Sheet 1 is a list of names according to positions. A more detailed explanantion is entered below. Can someone help?

heet1
Column A = RB�s names (50 names)
Column B = WR�s names (75 names)
Column C = QB�s names (36 names)
Column D = TE�s names (24 names)
Column E = K�s names (24 names)
Column F = Defense�s (24 names)

Sheet2
Managers Names are Columns B-G, Rows 1 and 26.
This allows 23 rounds of drafting.

Sheet3 thru Sheet14
Each individual Managers Team
Column A = RB�s
Column B = WR�s)
Column C = QB�s
Column D = TE�s
Column E = K�s
Column F = Defense�s

what I am trying accomplish is the following:
Enter the players in order of how they are drafted on Sheet 2. Then have that info. reflect on each managers worksheet at the position they play.

Example: Tomlinson selected first by T1. Peterson selected by T2. I enter their names on Sheet 2 and those name also appear on the managers worksheet under the position they play. In this case it would be RB (column A). In the third round, Owens is selected by T1, and Owens appears on T1's worksheet under WR (column B).

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
This probably isn't the answer you're looking for but I think you should drop the project and setup a fantasy league on yahoo instead. As long as you don't create a plus league, it's free.

Upvote 0

I am under the impression these are 2 different forums. How is the cross posting? It's not in the same forum.

Which still leaves me with no solutions to what I am trying to do.

I've noticed that many posts get answered immediately.

My question: Is this difficult to figure or does no one care?

I understand if someone finds the info. I am searching for "unimportant" to most, but would be important to me. So any help I can get would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
This probably isn't the answer you're looking for but I think you should drop the project and setup a fantasy league on yahoo instead. As long as you don't create a plus league, it's free.

Yahoo will not be available when we do our draft. Plus I would not be able to enter the info. on Yahoo as we are doing the draft LIVE and in person. Yahoo can't track it that way. The info. would have to be imputted later.

I need to be able to see who has picked who, and at what position those managers will need to be filled in the upcoming rounds.

Plus, as noted, on Sheet 1 contains names. Along with those names are stats, rankings, and points. This will assist me in making decisions for my own team. Every manager will have a sheet to enter the draft info. Only my sheet, will have my preferences.

Upvote 0
As far as the cross posting, I believe it's because there may be multiple sources duplicating effort. I think it's ok to do as long as you make it clear in both posts that it is cross posted so people can review progress in each location to make sure they aren't duplicating their effort.

It sounds like the only thing you're trying to do is conduct the draft and list the players by team and draft order. This should be pretty easy. If nobody else responds, I'll try to post some notes within the next couple days.

Upvote 0
As far as the cross posting, I believe it's because there may be multiple sources duplicating effort. I think it's ok to do as long as you make it clear in both posts that it is cross posted so people can review progress in each location to make sure they aren't duplicating their effort.

Thank for the notice. I will be sure to keep that in mind. I understand.

It sounds like the only thing you're trying to do is conduct the draft and list the players by team and draft order. This should be pretty easy. If nobody else responds, I'll try to post some notes within the next couple days.

I can get the players to appear from the Draft order to the teams.

I can't however get them to appear in the appropriate position. IE QB, RB, WR, etc.....

This is where I need help.

Upvote 0
I can get the players to appear from the Draft order to the teams.

I can't however get them to appear in the appropriate position. IE QB, RB, WR, etc.....

How is it you're doing this?

Putting the players in the appropriate column on the team sheet will be tough. Putting all players in column a with the positions in column b should be fairly easy. You may need to rearrange sheet1 or create a dummy sheet where you can lookup the positions based on the player name.

Upvote 0
To lookup the position...

You need a list of players in one column and positions in the adjacent column. Create a range name called PlayerList for this range. Either rearrange sheet1 or create a new sheet with this information.

Then, on the team sheet to the right of where you pull in the players name (lets say the first player is listed in A2) type in the following in cell B2

Code:
=VLOOKUP(A2,PlayerList,2,FALSE)

This formula can then be copied down for the entire team. Adjust {A2} to whatever cell contains the players name.

From here you may be able to put the players in their respective columns using the information here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA012260381033.aspx?pid=CL100570551033

Make sure that all player names are unique.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
One more thing I wanted to mention.

How are you putting the player names in the main draft sheet?

If you're typing them in, you need to make absolutely sure you don't typo anything. You should be able to use data validation to prevent this. I
haven't used it much but from what I've seen it's pretty easy.

Easy to make sure you enter a valid name from the list. Making sure the player hasn't already been selected is another story. I assume you would be tracking that manually?

Although...

You might be able to use conditional formatting to highlight duplicates. Or maybe you can use data validation to make sure the name exists in the main list but doesn't exist on the draft page. I'm not sure if that's possible or not.

Also, you can try searching the message boards for "fantasy draft". Although most of the solutions there will probably contain vba code.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back