Erroneous link update message on open

QuakerDude

I have 2 workbooks with the same problem. Both files and the linked file are on a mapped networked drive. I am using Excel 2003 SP3.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Message reads: This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated and the choices are to either update the links or continue.<o:p></o:p>
The problem is that when I click edit links, the edit links DB box opens with the link status as OK…and if I click to continue on opening all is well…either way the links work but I can not stop the message from appearing.<o:p></o:p>
BTW: I have others in the office using this same link formula and no one else gets this message.<o:p></o:p>
I have selected “Startup Prompt…” from the edit links DB box and selected “Don’t display the alert and update links” and I have Tools-Options-Edit-“Ask to update links” unchecked.<o:p></o:p>
The link is:<o:p></o:p>
=IF(B444="","No UserID",VLOOKUP(B444,'I:\xxx\xxx\[workbook name.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$45000,1))<o:p></o:p>
As you can see, the formula looks to a particular cell (in this case B444) and if the cell is blank enters No UserID in the cell. If there is a UserID in the cell it attempts to find it.<o:p></o:p>
This is the only link in the book and if I edit the link the status is always OK.<o:p></o:p>
This one has me stumped!<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
I have 2 workbooks with the same problem. Both files and the linked file are on a mapped networked drive. I am using Excel 2003 SP3.<o:p></o:p>
Message reads: This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated and the choices are to either update the links or continue.<o:p></o:p>
The problem is that when I click edit links, the edit links DB box opens with the link status as OK…and if I click to continue on opening all is well…either way the links work but I can not stop the message from appearing.<o:p></o:p>
BTW: I have others in the office using this same link formula and no one else gets this message.<o:p></o:p>
I have selected “Startup Prompt…” from the edit links DB box and selected “Don’t display the alert and update links” and I have Tools-Options-Edit-“Ask to update links” unchecked.<o:p></o:p>
The link is:<o:p></o:p>
=IF(B444="","No UserID",VLOOKUP(B444,'I:\xxx\xxx\[workbook name.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$45000,1))<o:p></o:p>
As you can see, the formula looks to a particular cell (in this case B444) and if the cell is blank enters No UserID in the cell. If there is a UserID in the cell it attempts to find it.<o:p></o:p>
This is the only link in the book and if I edit the link the status is always OK.<o:p></o:p>
This one has me stumped!<o:p></o:p>

Sorry that my post will not help you out. I'm actually in the exact same boat. Have you found a solution to your problem?

I'm at the point where I'll probably have to rebuild the sheet. The worksheet that is causing me issue works perfect in the other workbooks I have, but for some reason always shows as an error in this case. The status meanwhile shows OK and I can even open the source document correctly.

In the past when I've encountered the problem, it was due to some bad named ranges (REF errors). You might check those in Insert--Name and see if anything is floating around. However that solution has not worked for me in this case.

Upvote 0
Yes I have....some one from another forum site sent me this reply:

Check for any defined names with #REF in the Refers To: box. This can cause the error you're referring to.

My response back was:

eek.gif
I would have never found that problem.
eek.gif

In these particular workbooks I was not using any defined names but when I checked, one book had one name and the other had 2. All 3 were pointing to old books that had been archived. The names did not show any errors but when I deleted them the problem was resolved.

Again, thanks for the fix!

Hope this helps you too!

Upvote 0
Thanks guys! Mr. Excel rocks!

I've been struggling with this exact same error scenerio for a couple weeks now.

Derek

Upvote 0
Thanks to you, QuakerDude, to whoever sent you the first solution, and to all involved. This issue has been distracting me for over a month, and it seems to now finally be resolved!

I might add that in fixing the problem in my case I was misled by the "Define Name" dialog box in Excel 2003, in which the top portion says "Names in workbook". This implies that all defined names in the workbook are displayed by this box regardless of which worksheet the user is on. After some frustration, I found out that there were defined names on several of the worksheets in the workbook I was using that did not show up in this box unless the "Define Name" dialog box was pulled up separately on each of them.

Opinions expressed are the sender's and are not necessarily the opinion of the County of San Diego.

Upvote 0
Hey all. Just had to let you know that I just registered to Mr. Excel so I could say thanks for this post. I NEVER would have worked this out and you have all definately saved me many hours of pain. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Iatollah

Upvote 0
Lest all think this hint works all the time... I have the same problem. There are no links in the Name Manager that refer to an external link. I have 12 worksheets in the one workbook and the link is referring to an old version of the workbook. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back