First time forum user

Ken L.

Hello,
I am just a beginner with excel 2007

I am trying to build a simple spreadsheet to pay my 6 year old daughter allowance and teach her about math.

My problem is I cannot figure out how to add currency in the cell with text and then have the totals added up at the bottom of the page.

I would like to add currency figure on each chore on the second page and then when I use the drop down list on the first page it will say (make bed $.50) and at the end of each day add up the totals for all the cells under chores completed and then at the end of the week add up all the days for her grand total allowance.

I hopefully will come up with a nice spreadsheet that will also teach my children about work, since I have a 15 month old son I will get good usage out of this spread sheet.

I can E-mail the spreadsheet if anybody needs to see it to help me out.
My E-mail is Removed e-mail address - Moderator

Thank you,

Ken
<!-- / message -->

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
If you'd like you can upload your file to a free hosting site, like MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/ (no need to sign up for an account, just browse and upload anonymously). Then post the link it gives you to the forum and someone can assist you.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Sounds like a great idea (I have a 4 year-old). I'd suggest using a VLOOKUP table with data validation.

Here's an example:
Book1
ABCD
1ChoreAllowance
2Make Bed$0.50
3Change brother's diaper$5.00
4Feed Cat$0.25
5Feed Dog$0.35
7Lookup
8Change brother's diaper$5.00
Sheet1

If you create a list similar to the one above, you can then highlight the chore portion and goto Insert-->Name-->Define-->give it the name you want, then goto the sheet where you'll be adding up the chores and where you want to make your selections, highlight the range and goto Data-->Validation-->Allow List-->Source-->"=MyList" (no quotes and where "MyList" equals your list name).

Then you can add a similar VLOOKUP formula to get the data from your table.

It seems like a lot to set up, but it really only takes a few minutes.

Hope that helps,

Note: your e-mail address isn't safe from spammers in this or any other public forum, so I removed it. You can keep it in your profile, where it's secure. ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bastbog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back