Calculation Time In Excel 07

CARBOB

I have 2 columns of data, approximately 375,000 rows each. The calculations have been running for 12 hours and only 93% done. Does this make sense? My computer has a 2G CPU dual processor with 2G of ram. I cleaned out the cache, is it possible that something else is running in the backgroud or is this just Excel 07.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hey Carbob,

which kind of and how many calculations are you running?

Here's a sample of the calculations. There are 19 columns and 195000 rows. The formula looks at the values in row 6 using each value in column D and returns the number of matches from another worksheet. I think I will have to break the 195000 rows into more worksheets. I don't think you can post an HTML in this forum or it won't work for me.

this is an array formula, Ctrl-Shift_Enter
=SUMPRODUCT(--('PKG SEGS'!$F$10:$F$377001=E$6),--('PKG SEGS'!$O$10:$O$377001=$D7))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SUMPRODUCT doesn't need to be entered as an array, it is an array.

But 195 K rows of array formulas will bring any system to its knees. Any chance you could try a pivot table to summarise teh data instead?

Denis

Upvote 0
Hey Carbob,

Well, at first: microsoft enhanced their functions in 2007: so you can use the function COUNTIFS() which should be faster. I can't test it because I struggle to install this version. ;)

Otherwise it would be the best to use an additional column which includes this simple formula:

Code:
=(F10=E$6)*(O10=D$7)

Then use Countif() to count "true". That's it.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the reponses and suggestions. Does anyone think FastExcel would help in this case???

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the reponses and suggestions. Does anyone think FastExcel would help in this case???

Maybe, but the first suggestion it would make is to remove all the array formulas. Try Fridgenep's suggestion -- you need a less hungry formula if you want some response out of your workbook.

You could also try a completely different approach -- use Excel like a database and create a couple of simple queries to filter down the records you want. See this page for a link to an excellent tutorial.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back