Calculation based on diameter, grids, and various arrays

rogue0503

Boy this is a hard one to spell out in a title. Here's what I'm trying to do.

I have a circle. Inside this circle are several rectangles that are all the same size. I also have an array that contains a matrix of these rectangles. The array has several options:

Option 1: Single row, multiple columns
Option 2: Multiple rows, multiple columns
Option 3: Single rectangle stretched across several columns (Diagonal)

Things I know:

1. Size of the Circle
2. Length and width of each rectangle
2. Array configuration (3x2, 2x8, Diagonal x7)

I need a formula that can do the following:

1. Determine how many rectangles can fit into the circle
2. Determine how many times the array will be used to touch each rectangle one time (touching outside the circle is fine, so long as the entire array is not outside the circle).

Hopefully, this makes sense. I'll try to clarify however I can. Please note my original post was at http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?p=1914368&posted=1#post1914368 and I have also posted this at http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90395. My apologies for the multiple posts; I read about cross-posting after I had already done this.
<!-- / message -->

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Perhaps I'm being somewhat slow, and I really don't know much about semiconductors. I am posting some clarification that might help you get an solution.

You have the circle, and its dimensions, so you know the area.

You have an array of matrices? Meaning, each element of the array contains a 3x2, 2x8, 1x20, diagonal 7, right?

Length and width of each rectangle is the same, or do they vary from one rectangle to the next?

Are you doing an optimization? In other words, you want the rectangles to take up the largest possible area within the circle? Or is there only one solution?

I also do not understand this: " how many times the array will be used to touch each rectangle one time " if it's only touching the rectangle one time, then you know how many times, no?

Also from the above quote, I am again unclear on the distinction between array, matrix, and rectangle, as you are using them.

Is it possible to post some sample data?

Upvote 0
Let's see if I can clarify this a bit:

My circle is 200mm
Each rectangle is 2.032mm x 2.55mm
I have three arrays, each of which contains 6 rectangles. The array configurations are as follows:

3X2 (6.096mm x 5.1mm)
2X3 (4.064mm x 7.65mm)
6 die in a diagonal configuration, from left to right (one die per column, one die per row, unsure how to represent this size)

I need to predict how many times the array will touchdown in the 200mm circle so I can determine which of the three options above has the most/least touchdowns.

I hope this makes more sense now.

Upvote 0
200mm is circumference or radius?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamil ahmed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back