Slow in Answering Forum Questions...

MorganO

I really enjoy assisting others in solving their Excel problems on this board as it helps me learn from the experience. Normally when I see a question I can possibly answer at the beginning of the questions forum (page 1) I tend to not take the time answer because in my experience by the time I've formulated a reply (as I like to test everything in a worksheet on my end first) several others forum members have already answered the question properly.

So what I've started to do is to immediately move several pages back in the forum and see what hasn't been answered. These questions tend to be either more difficult to understand or more involved than those that are quickly answered. This gives me more time to come up with a solution that I can ultimately post.

So does anyone else follow this method of assisting in the forum, or am I the only slow poke of the bunch! ;)

Take care,

Owen

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Usually when I look at the board in the morning I go to Quick Links--> Unsanswered threads and browse through those. Then I will occassionally will answer the easy ones that come along, but I usually don't test too often what i post as it is something that I typically feel comfortable with. It doesn't hurt to have multiple posts to a question though because sometimes there are very different approaches and it is nice seeing different ways to accomplish the same task.

Likewise... though it I post and the screen refreshes and there's a new 0 post which is quick to answer I'll put something down.

Even if you do post and others beat you to it it's not a bad thing as I often find the MVPs here show more efficient ways of doing thigns which unless you were subscribed to the thread you may not have picked up.

As we all know there are always countless ways to fulfill a task in Excel - the beauty is finding new uber-efficient methods with which to improve one's own code.

That said I do get tired of "delete duplicates" and "find and copy" posts as of the 300k posts I'd bet a good 25% are related to those topics...

Owen, do not bother too much and answer the questions you like.
And when you want to be the first to answer, just type faster :biggrin:

kind regards,
Erik

Better to be right than fast, I think :)

.....although it's fun to race occasionally.....

[hello Erik, long time no see, hope you are well]

Owen,
I do essentially the same as you, although I do tend to focus on questions related to dealing with huge volumes of data, multiple files requiring the same analysis, and questions about interfacing between Excel and Word. Often, those are the ones that aren't answered really quickly anyway, so it usually works out to about the same result :)
Cindy

I usually go to the first page and work my way down reading replies to what appears of interest to me (which means usually leaving out VBA related stuff as I rarely use it). If I come across something that is in my area of limited expertise and has not been answered, I try to help. This also helps me, as it subscribes me to that thread, and I get to see what better answers have come up, which improves my own Excel.

Riaz, just a friendly message - no offence whatsoever, mate :)

I am just anxious to find out if its you in that pic or the avatar you have it displayed on your profile ? If yes, then I suppose you are around 60 years now ?

I see that you have not lost interest visiting this board at this age and this is quite an accomplishment !! You still have that learning curve alive.

Hi Stormseed

Yep, that's me. I know I don't look a day over 60, but I am 55 - and still learning.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back