Large, Slow Excel Workbook

dgavin

I have a large Excel workbook (about 70,000KB) and it takes ages to load and is slow to operate.

Is there anyway of compressing it or making it run faster and not slow down the computer?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
No risk, it just resets the last used cell which can 'bloat' files. I have reduced a file sent to me via email from 8Mb to 3-4Mb without changing the file at all, just running this addin.

Mind and save your files after use to retain it's newly reduced filesize if applicable

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Just a note that if your wb is that big you might want to consider moving to a database, like Access.

Upvote 0
It's under the file menu should be a new item there called Clear Excess Formating in .................................., on XL07 it'll be in your Addins tab

p.s. If it has a significant impact on your file please post back

Upvote 0
If you have lots of lookups this can slow down your workbook - I'm sure there's other types of formulas that will also effect performance. External links for sure. That's a very large workbook. What do you have in there?

Upvote 0
How? All the code does is reset the last used cell on each sheet in a workbook so I can't think what it might have done.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back