speeding up calculations

kmoody

I have a large 2MB file with several formulas that are a function of several cells. Each time I enter information into these cells the file starts to "calculate" which takes a decent amount of time. What I would like to do is be able to enter info into these cells and have a button/macro of some sort that I can hit when I want the info to calculate.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

THANKS!!!

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Put a macro in Workbook_Open under ThisWorbook in VB Explorer that will turn off the AutoCalc option when the file is opened. Here is that code:

Code:
Sub Workbook_Open()
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
End Sub

Then create another macro and insert into a module. This macro will turn the AutoCalc feature back on. Here is that code:

Code:
Sub CalcOn()
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
End Sub

You can create a button on the Excel spreadsheet and attach the macro to it, so that the user can click the button to turn the AutoCalc feature back on whenever they want.
This message was edited by jmiskey on 2003-01-30 15:33

Upvote 0
set calculation to manual via Tools -> Options-> Calculation. Then you'll need to hit the F9 key when you want it to recalculate

you could also put a macro like this in your workbook and assign it to a button on the worksheet:

Sub CalcChange()
'
If Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic Then Application.Calculation = xlManual

If Application.Calculation = xlManual Then
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
Application.Calculate
End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
OK, I'm starting to see the light. However, I am still having trouble and am trying to start over w/o any macros. I have deleted all macros in my file but each time I open it, it still asks if I want to enable/disable. How can I delete all traces of past macros?

Upvote 0
These suggestions we sent you ARE macros. If you delete them, you want able to use them and do what you asked (unless you manually turn the AutoCalc off through the Tools menu).

To view all the macros, go into your file project in Project Explorer and expand it by clicking on the plus sign (if it shows a negative sign, it is already expanded).

Macros can show up in Modules, or under ThisWorkbook, and each Sheet (as well as UserForms if you are using them).

Double-click each of these and you maro code should pop-up. You can then delete each one, if you really want to.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back