Self contained workbook?

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Not really.

If you want to distribute a workable workbook, check out "Excel Compiler" on Google. Note that you'll have to pay for a compiling solution.

There's also the Microsoft Excel Viewer for people who don't have Excel, but I don't know if they even support it anymore. And it's not exactly interactive.

You can also check out the open office suite (which I haven't tried), or Google's Spread****s app, which isn't nearly as robust as Excel.

HTH,

Upvote 0
There's also the Microsoft Excel Viewer for people who don't have Excel, but I don't know if they even support it anymore. And it's not exactly interactive.

I saw this through a search, but it appears Microsoft or whoever created the software is still supporting. Problem with the viewer, you can save any changes made to the workbook.

You can also check out the open office suite (which I haven't tried), or Google's Spread****s app, which isn't nearly as robust as Excel.

Can Excel workbooks with macro coding & formulas be used on Open Office or Google Spreadsheets?

Upvote 0
I saw this through a search, but it appears Microsoft or whoever created the software is still supporting. Problem with the viewer, you can save any changes made to the workbook.

So you want to distribute an interactive WB, but not allow saved changes?

Excel's never really been set up for concrete protection, so your options are pretty much limited to the end-user's honesty. You can do a lot with VBA that will keep most people honest, but it's kind of moot if they don't have Excel.

Can Excel workbooks with macro coding & formulas be used on Open Office or Google Spreadsheets?

I don't think GS support VBA. I am not sure about OO, as I've only used it once.

Take a look at the compilers, as it seems that's the direction you might want to go.

Upvote 0
So you want to distribute an interactive WB, but not allow saved changes?

Excel's never really been set up for concrete protection, so your options are pretty much limited to the end-user's honesty. You can do a lot with VBA that will keep most people honest, but it's kind of moot if they don't have Excel.

I don't think GS support VBA. I am not sure about OO, as I've only used it once.

Take a look at the compilers, as it seems that's the direction you might want to go.

I've was able to create workbook for distribution with compilers. I was just wondering if it was possible for a workbook to run by itself without the excel platform since not everyone has excel.

Upvote 0
Just to throw in a recommendation..

Do you have access to a Citrix or Terminal Services environment? If so, you could publish Excel there, and grant users access. They would not need Excel locally on their PC. You can even use a citrix web client if they're from outside your borders (company, home, etc.)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aa2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back