Need a filter sheet

tinkertron

Board Regular
I will try to best explain as good as I can. In sheet1 i do data entries. In column Q which I keep hidden, but unhide when I need to view it, I have a formula in colm Q that reads from abunch other colms to get the output that i'm looking for.

Alot of people have asked why then do I have the Q colm hidden. Well all I can say is that my database spreadsheet is large. If I go any smaller then you would need magnifying glass.

So here's my question. Can I make another sheet that will filter whats on sheet1?

Someone told me that I would have to uses Advance Filtering option.

But I seem to have a problem with that. I can't figuare out how to make it display on the sheet if it has a formula in the cells.

So say for instant:
On Sheet1 I have an entry and in colm q the formula reports back "SB880"
On Sheet2 I want any entry that shows on sheet1 with the word "SB880" to display the last name, first name and SID# of whom ever shows with the word "SB880" on sheet2

The other issue I found from other video exsample is would I have to run the filter everytime I want to see the results, or once I does this setup, it will automatically show me new entries?

The other purpose of this, as I mention that my spreadsheet is very large display and this will also help me cut back on cells that I don't need to see off hand and I can hide them, but I also run all types of filter operation. So insted of me having to run all diffenrent type of filters, I can have a sheet that will automatically filter what I need on the fly.

So please help me firgue this out and I will repay you.. lol

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Advanced filter will have to be updated each time because it is not aware new data has been added or it has been changed. To get around this you could build a macro onto the filter sheet so everytime you click the sheet to view it the macro would fire and update the data.

For advanced filter to work you need to make sure your have the EXACT same headings for your criteria and results that are on your data sheet.

An alternative could be a pivot table. You could lay it out with the fields you want to see and have it refresh on open or again someone else would have to refresh it. To be able to change your criteria you might had to add certain fields as pages.

Upvote 0
Wow this sound like some tough programming, thanks for your input, so can you or can you suggest someone to me to help me on this project? I was thinking on hiring Mr. Excel but do you think that 8 mins AND $20.00 would be enough time for him to do the job at hand?

Upvote 0
If anyone knows of a cheaper way of doing this, i'm open to suggestions. I might be willing to hire someone. I'm on a tight budget.

Upvote 0
Tinkerton. I'd be happy to look at it and give you my thoughts. I sent you a private message with my e-mail.

Upvote 0
Just so the board is aware of the solution. Created two new worksheets and created an advanced filter on both. Whenever a user selects the sheets there is vba code that kicks off the advanced filter updating the sheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kon123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back