dates to converted into years & months

gopalakrishnarao1

Board Regular
Hello, i am having certain branch information in respect of purchase of batteries purchased for the ups, after a period of 3-4 years we have t indent for the same. I am having the data in the excel in a column, in date format date-month-year, how to convert the same into yrs and months. in the next column, as on a particular date say for ex.30-09-09

Thanks in advance for the solution/formulas provided

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
If you want the time difference from a date in A2 until today then try this formula in B2

=DATEDIF(A2,TODAY(),"y")& " years "&DATEDIF(A2,TODAY(),"ym")&" months"

Upvote 0
Thanks for the solution, but i want years in a separte cell and month in a separate cell. How to write/ change the formula. Please convey. Sincere thanks for the immediate reply within a fraction of second yesterday.

Upvote 0
You can use 2 DATEDIF functions in separate cells, i.e. in one cell for the years

=DATEDIF(A2,TODAY(),"y")

and another for the remaining months

=DATEDIF(A2,TODAY(),"ym")

DATEDIF function is not very well documented in Excel help, if at all. See here for more on DATEDIF

Upvote 0
I want the date to be calculated for the future date say for eg. as on 30-05-2010, or as on 30-06-2010, what is the formula I have to enter. Please guide me . I have got the answer taking this day, but not the future date.

Upvote 0
Place your future date in a fixed cell and in your function replace the today() with that cell's reference..

e.g. you have placed your future date/as on date to D1

so your two functions would be

=DATEDIF(A2,$D$1,"y")

=DATEDIF(A2,$D$1,"ym")

Upvote 0
By making use of the formula, I got the results, now the next problem which I am facing is
1. I have put the future date in a separte column, and I got years and months in separte columns. I have sorted the data, the results I am getting is in ascending order. say for eg. 2 years 10 months , 3 years 1 months etc., but what I want is it should be in descending order. So what I have to do?

Thanks in advance for the solution provider.

Upvote 0
I am herewith attaching the file how the results have come, what I want is the other way. i.e. the highest number of years should be first and least year should be last.
Sheet1

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: Calibri,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 138px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 118px"><COL style="WIDTH: 75px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 89px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD> </TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD><TD>C</TD><TD>D</TD><TD>E</TD><TD>F</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>H</TD><TD>M</TD><TD>N</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">1</TD><TD>SL.NO. </TD><TD>BRANCH</TD><TD>CAPACITY</TD><TD> </TD><TD>DATE OF SUP</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>FUTURE DATE</TD><TD>YEARS</TD><TD>MONTHS</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 19px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">2</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">8</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">BANASHANKARI</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">2KVA</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt"> </TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; TEXT-ALIGN: right">26-Jul-07</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">2</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">11</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">2</TD><TD>ANNUR</TD><TD>1KVA</TD><TD>ASPATHREKAVAL</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">2-Jan-07</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">5</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">4</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">5</TD><TD>BANDAHALLY</TD><TD>1KVA</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7-Feb-07</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">4</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">5</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7</TD><TD>BOMMALAPURAA</TD><TD>1KVA</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">13-Feb-07</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">4</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">6</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">8</TD><TD>BOMMALAPURAA</TD><TD>1KVA</TD><TD>ALATHUR</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">16-Jun-07</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">7</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">9</TD><TD>BYLAHALLY</TD><TD>1KVA</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7-Mar-07</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">8</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">10</TD><TD>BYLAHALLY</TD><TD>1KVA</TD><TD>PERIYAPATNA</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7-Mar-07</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">9</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">11</TD><TD>CHANDRAVADI</TD><TD>1KVA</TD><TD>KYATHANAHALLY</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">16-Jun-07</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">10</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">18</TD><TD>GUNDLUPUET</TD><TD>1KVA</TD><TD>HANGALA</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">2-Jan-07</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">5</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">11</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">19</TD><TD>H.D.KOTE</TD><TD>1KVA</TD><TD>BEECHANAHALLY</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">16-Jun-07</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">12</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">20</TD><TD>HAMPAPURA HDK</TD><TD>1KVA</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">25-Jun-07</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sincere thanks for the solution provider.
Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0
Select the data including headings, in your case from A1 to N12..

Go to Data menu>Choose Sort>It will open the Sorting window, in first drop down list choose column M and click on the radio button "Descending" and in second list i.e. "Then by" choose column N and hit the "Descending" radio button.. now click on 'OK'..

That's it, you can chage your Sorting criateria according to your need..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jahmia0616

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back