Scrambled Screens - Refresh problem

SusaninHouston

I'm working in Excel 2007 under Vista and am encountering a strange 'Screen Scramble' --

It's hard to describe, but I'll try. In a large, complex worksheet, calculating, inserting rows, or copying and pasting sends the screen into a mixed-up mode whereby bits of one worksheet are shown over the one I'm working in. Switching to a different sheet then back cures the problem temporarily.

Closing Excel and restarting, or closing the model and re-opening it cure the problem for a bit longer. But at some point, it seems to come back.

It seems to be a screen-refresh problem of some sort. But it's not just my computer that it happens on.

Any ideas why it's happening and how I can cure it?

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
"nevermind" - as in found a solution?
I face the same problem when I run a web query (through VBA) and 2 workbooks are open. It is however temporary and last only for the duration of the query.

Upvote 0
well, i noted, after posting a reply, that the original wquestion was from 2005... I had posted a 'screen refresh' problem a few days ago... you might want to look at it if this is your problem... I'd be interested in knowing if this is more widespread

Upvote 0
Actually 2005 is when I joined the forum -- my question was new.

But after receiving an underwhelming response here I did some more research and have come to the conclusion that it's a Microsoft bug caused by one of their most recent security patches.

I'll give them a few weeks to fix it before spending more of my time digging for a cure.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting that!

I figured Microsoft would fix things pretty quickly seeing how many power users were highly annoyed. But I'm surprised and disappointed to see they haven't...

Upvote 0
OK a bit more on this, I found 2 fixes/workarounds until MS can get this resolved...

Uninstall the Security patch -----------------

This was the best option due to the persons using my speadsheet did not like all of the screen refreshing, was annoying to say the least ---

1 – Close Excel
2 - Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs, click “Show updates” at the top, then scroll down to the MS Office section, then click ‘Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB973593), then click remove.

3 - Then if you want you can install the previous security patch for Excel --> This security update KB973593 replaces the following security update:
969682 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969682/ ) MS09-021:

Code Workaround -------------------------------

Add this code to Worksheet_Activate or Worksheet_change, etc..., I used this due to in my speadsheet the names of the sheets are not static names

'-----------MS Bug MS09-067-KB973593 workaround----------
SheetName = ActiveSheet.Name
Sheets(SheetName).Select
'--------------------------------------------------------

Upvote 0
Another solution I found was to use the worksheet change event and enter the following code
Application.ScreenUpdating=True

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mytux

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back