Pivot table field list doesn't appear

donkrafft

The field list does not appear when I create a pivot table in Excel 2007. It works properly if I start Excel in safe mode. I have toggled the field list button in the PivotTable Tools show/hide ribbon and I tried repairing Office 2007 from the control panel. I’ve also searched the Internet for solutions without success.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
How about right-clicking in the pivot table, and selecting "show field list" from the short menu?

ξ

Upvote 0
Hi ξ,

Yes I tried that to no avail. I'm also trying to work out how to specify the fields without the field list using field settings (right click > value field settings) and formulas from the pivot table tools ribbon but I haven't been successful there either.

Thanks,

Don

Upvote 0
Sounds very bizarre. There's a pivot table "layout" option in when creating one in XL2003 - maybe that's another way to see the fields (not sure if this is in XL2007).

You might try a test on a very small and simplified set of data - in case its something about your particular dataset that throws it off.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Rat. That sounds bad.

I actually contacted Microsoft once for support and they were surprisingly helpful - as in, stayed with me until the issue was resolved (and followed up with me with a personal call when my chat box was disconnected due to my own fault) - so I think a phone call would be worth a try here.

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=8753&st=1

This is from the help files - I'm sure you've tried it -
If you don't see the PivotTable Field List, make sure that you click the PivotTable or PivotChart report. If you still don't see the PivotTable Field List, for a PivotTable report, on the Options tab, in the Show/Hide group, click Field List, and for a PivotChart report, on the Analyze tab, in the Data group, click Field List.

I couldn't find any support articles related to Excel 2007 Pivot Tables but your issue seems worthy of attention from Microsoft.

Upvote 0
Hi xenou,

Thanks for the leads. They solved the problem. The issue was an Excel12.xlb file, apparently from a previous version of Excel, that was in the XLSTART folder. Somehow that caused the pivot table field list to disappear. I removed it and the problem went away.

I had searched the Internet extensively for a solution and didn't come across the items that you found. You must have the touch with the search phrase.

Thanks again!

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Great news! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back