Object Library Invalid or contains reference to object definition that could not be found

student123

I recently downloaded Excel 2010 BETA. I used it for about a week and then decided to remove it from my PC because I did not find any thing new compared to Excel 2003.

I have windows XP on my PC

Ever sine I removed the Excel 2010 Beta, I have been getting the error message "Object Library Invalid or contains reference to object definition that could not be found".

I removed and reinstalled Office 10 hoping to correct the problem. But the error message persists.

I have checked the Tools->References in VBA editor and all references that are checked seem to be the right ones.

It is very frustrating that none of my VBA code works. I use VBA a lot and I am stuck.

Hope to hear from some of you experts.

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Do you have a personal macro workbook?

Upvote 0
Hi student123,

You might want to look at the links below as I had exactly the same problem on PC's at my workplace. I followed the advice in these links and it has solved this error.

http://www.lessanvaezi.com/delete-exd-files-to-fix-object-library-invalid-error/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957924/en-us

Basically this can happen after installing a certain Windows update: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;932349. The update installs new versions of certain Visual Basic 6 Runtime files.

There is a corresponding EXD file that is created for each of the runtime files, when you use the controls provided by the runtime files in VBA. When the runtime files are updated, these EXD files are now invalid and hence this error occurs. To fix the error, you need to delete the EXD files and they will be re-created as needed.

On the PC's in the company I work for, these .exd files are contained in the following folder (Windows XP):

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms\

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back