Project Management - Predecessors

deckerp

Office Version
  1. 365
I am working on a tabel that tracks project activities.

In that table every task has its starting date & time, estimated hours needed to complete it and the calculated finish date & time.

Generally, the activities are written in approxiamte order of start time.
However, some of them are not due to start before other activities are completed. Therefore I need to be able to tell an activity that it should not start before activity X is finished. The best would be to have 5 cells next to it, and to input the ID of the predecent activities.

Who can solve this? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Why not use some comparative reasoning? I.E. IF(Project2 start date<=Project1 end date,"Can't start yet,"Project 2 start date")

Barring that you'll need to give more specifics, and possibly a screen shot of what you have now and your expected outcome.

Upvote 0
Why not use some comparative reasoning? I.E. IF(Project2 start date<=Project1 end date,"Can't start yet,"Project 2 start date")

Barring that you'll need to give more specifics, and possibly a screen shot of what you have now and your expected outcome.

Hi Smitty,

I ahev no idea of how to put in a screenshot.

Upvote 0
as your only estimating end end times, why not insert a column with data validation dropdown stating task ongoing and task complete and conditionally format the rows to stay red if the row above does not contain the words task complete. At least that would give you a visual indicator as your only guessing at an end time....

Upvote 0
as your only estimating end end times, why not insert a column with data validation dropdown stating task ongoing and task complete and conditionally format the rows to stay red if the row above does not contain the words task complete. At least that would give you a visual indicator as your only guessing at an end time....

Hi scottylad2,

one of us did not undertand the other one (its late here in Germany).
I actually want two things.

Lets start step one. This is the "more easy" task (not for me):
Calculate the Finish Date & the Finish Time based on start date & start time + Duration (in hrs eg: 02:45). This must be only a workday and within the working hours 08h00 to 17h00. Break from 12h00 to 13h00. Also no weekend and no defined bank holidays (list).

the next step is than to look at the order/priority of completion.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back