Percent of Sales

Shirley

I am doing a spreadsheet problem using the Quantity Sold and the Sales Amount and I have to figure the percent of sales. If I had 1587 as quanity sold and the sales amount is 47690.19 what is the perent of sales? I came up with 3.3%. Is this correct?? I would appreciate if you would email me. Thanks, Shirley. email shirley_raynor@yahoo.com

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

I'm afraid you need to offer more information. If 1587 is the number of units sold and you have $47,690.19 in revenue, the only thing you can really figure out is the average cost per unit. In this case, $30.05. What are you trying to figure as far as "percent of sales"?

Upvote 0
Hi Shirley:

Phantom is right in that you need to clarify what percentage you are computing. However, please look at the following simulation -- which shows that the QtySoldAsPercent of Amount is what you have computed to be 3.3%
y030423h1.xls
ABCDE
1QtySoldAmountQtySoldAsPercentOfAmount
2158747690.193.33%
Sheet3

Is this what you are looking for?

Upvote 0
More Clarfication of the Problem

The problem is:

Format the numbers in the Quantity Sold column with commas and no decimal places - format the numbers in the Sales Amount column as currency - and format the numbers in the Percent of Sales column as percentages with one decimal place.

By doing this, I came up with the Quantity Sold 1587 and the Sales Amount of 47690.19 with the Percent of Sales to be 3.3%

Upvote 0
Re: More Clarfication of the Problem

Shirley said:
The problem is:

Format the numbers in the Quantity Sold column with commas and no decimal places - format the numbers in the Sales Amount column as currency - and format the numbers in the Percent of Sales column as percentages with one decimal place.

By doing this, I came up with the Quantity Sold 1587 and the Sales Amount of 47690.19 with the Percent of Sales to be 3.3%

Hi Shirley:

In the part that I have quoted above, I don't see a question -- however, if you are wondering whether you did it right the way you have described, from what I have seen so far, I would say YES, you have come up with the right answer (except keep in mind, only you know the background, or the context in which the calculation is being made, since the result of our computation might be right, but it may not necessarily be the right computation to make).

The following simulation shows the formating and the computation as you have described it ...
y030423h1.xls
ABCD
1QtySoldAmountQtySoldAsPercentOfAmount
21,587$47,690.193.3%
Sheet3

Shirley, I hope I have not misunderstood what you are after. So, please do post back, and advise if this is what you are looking for -- otherwise post back with a little more explanation and let us take it from there.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strawberrish

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back