Adding a "Comma" Punctuation in between Cell Data

Neavalmi

Hi Excel Experts:

I want to send email to all the names of the team members of a particular db in lotus notes for a particular memo. I was able to export all these names in excel file like below.

Name
Janet Wong
Jane Yu
Johnny Tan
Jacky Shin

The names are around 3,000 plus and i would like to paste these in the bcc field of LN email. However, the names need to be separated by comma. How can i do this?

My idea to first transfer all names with comma in a single cell and then copy and paste this into the bcc field. How can i add the comma in this case?

Other than what i know, do you have any other excellent method to do this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Nea

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Putting 3000+ names into one cell sound ambitious, however, if this is a one off exercise and you don't want to use macros, then.. lets say your names are in column A, starting at row 2.
In B2 enter this formula:
=A2

In B3 enter this formula:
=B2 & "," & A3

copy B3 downwards. The bottommost cell will contain the sort of thing you're looking for, but be aware that it might not contain all the names since (in xl 2003) there is a limit of some 32000 characters in one cell.

Upvote 0
3000 is a heroic number of emails to put in one cell (it probably interacts with the 255 character limit).

But ConcatIf might help

=ConcatIf(A:A,"<>",A:A,",") will return all the values in column A, with a comma delimiter

Code:
Function ConcatIf(ByVal compareRange As Range, ByVal xCriteria As Variant, Optional ByVal stringsRange As Range, _
                            Optional Delimiter As String, Optional NoDuplicates As Boolean) As String
    Dim i As Long, j As Long
    With compareRange.Parent
        Set compareRange = Application.Intersect(compareRange, Range(.UsedRange, .Range("a1")))
    End With
    If compareRange Is Nothing Then Exit Function
    If stringsRange Is Nothing Then Set stringsRange = compareRange
    Set stringsRange = compareRange.Offset(stringsRange.Row - compareRange.Row, _
                                                stringsRange.Column - compareRange.Column)

For i = 1 To compareRange.Rows.Count
            For j = 1 To compareRange.Columns.Count
                If (Application.CountIf(compareRange.Cells(i, j), xCriteria) = 1) Then
                    If InStr(ConcatIf, Delimiter & CStr(stringsRange.Cells(i, j))) <> 0 Imp Not (NoDuplicates) Then
                        ConcatIf = ConcatIf & Delimiter & CStr(stringsRange.Cells(i, j))
                    End If
                End If
            Next j
        Next i
        ConcatIf = mid(ConcatIf, Len(Delimiter) + 1)
    End Function

Upvote 0
Putting 3000+ names into one cell sound ambitious, however, if this is a one off exercise and you don't want to use macros, then.. lets say your names are in column A, starting at row 2.
In B2 enter this formula:
=A2

In B3 enter this formula:
=B2 & "," & A3

copy B3 downwards. The bottommost cell will contain the sort of thing you're looking for, but be aware that it might not contain all the names since (in xl 2003) there is a limit of some 32000 characters in one cell.

Hi p45cal,
Thanks. It worked. However, it didn't come to my mind that it is very inconvenient when the cell is being highlighted, my whole screen is flashing with the the names. I can't even select all the contents in the cell as i have to manually scroll the mouse.

I would like to try the macro version if you be so kind enough to share.
Thanks.
Nea

Upvote 0
3000 is a heroic number of emails to put in one cell (it probably interacts with the 255 character limit).

But ConcatIf might help

=ConcatIf(A:A,"<>",A:A,",") will return all the values in column A, with a comma delimiter

Code:
Function ConcatIf(ByVal compareRange As Range, ByVal xCriteria As Variant, Optional ByVal stringsRange As Range, _
                            Optional Delimiter As String, Optional NoDuplicates As Boolean) As String
    Dim i As Long, j As Long
    With compareRange.Parent
        Set compareRange = Application.Intersect(compareRange, Range(.UsedRange, .Range("a1")))
    End With
    If compareRange Is Nothing Then Exit Function
    If stringsRange Is Nothing Then Set stringsRange = compareRange
    Set stringsRange = compareRange.Offset(stringsRange.Row - compareRange.Row, _
                                                stringsRange.Column - compareRange.Column)

For i = 1 To compareRange.Rows.Count
            For j = 1 To compareRange.Columns.Count
                If (Application.CountIf(compareRange.Cells(i, j), xCriteria) = 1) Then
                    If InStr(ConcatIf, Delimiter & CStr(stringsRange.Cells(i, j))) <> 0 Imp Not (NoDuplicates) Then
                    End If
                End If
            Next j
        Next i
        ConcatIf = mid(ConcatIf, Len(Delimiter) + 1)
    End Function

Hi Mike ,
Can't seem to figure how to make this work. Can you pls explain more, i'm not much an expert in macros, i just copy and run the macro. But nothing seems to happen.

Upvote 0
I haven't written a macro.. yet. However, you don't need to select all the contents of the cell; sure, use the mouse to navigate to the cell, then on the keyboard use Ctrl + C to copy the contents, and Ctrl + v to paste them in the Bcc field.

Hi p45cal,
Thanks. It worked. However, it didn't come to my mind that it is very inconvenient when the cell is being highlighted, my whole screen is flashing with the the names. I can't even select all the contents in the cell as i have to manually scroll the mouse.

I would like to try the macro version if you be so kind enough to share.
Thanks.
Nea

Upvote 0
Open the VBEditor and paste that code into a normal module.
The UDF (User Defined Function) it encodes is called ConcatIf which has similar arguments to SumIf.

Upvote 0
I am working on a similar problem and through search of website, found this post. I have tried using the function as posted as well as trying a couple of modifications and continue to get a #VALUE! error. My data is simply a list of account numbers (alphanumeric) in column A that I need to separate with a comma.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
More simple than I thought.

Code:
Public Function Concat(rng As Range) As String
Dim i As Range
For Each i In rng
Concat = Concat & "," & i.Value
Next i
Concat = Mid(Concat, 2, 10000)
End Function
That last line eliminates the comma that precedes the first data element in the string.

Thanks to everyone for getting me going in the right direction...

Upvote 0
Hi,
It really worked for me, thanks.
But I changed a bit in the code you mentioned above.
This line is replace with
ConcatIf = ConcatIf & CStr(stringsRange.Cells(i, j)) & ","
Then
The comma punctuation follows only after the CStr.

Could you please explain me a bit more about my case.
I have two interchangeable letters I want to concatenate.

Column A Column B
pl14
pl15
pl16
pl17
pl14,15,16,17,

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

This is how I come up with your amazing formula, Concat (=Concat(A1:A4,A6,B1:B4))
pl = Personal Late
This is for only one condition. What I want to add is that if pl or odl ( On Duty Late) is entered, then do the same job.
Is it Possible?
Would you mind to help a bit more. I am searching this solution for ages, That's why.
However, thanks you very much.
Htut

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back