VBA - Open PDF Files based on partial data string

opazzo

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there,

I am trying to link certains cells from my excel worksheet to PDF Files. The trick is that those cells contains only a partial data string of the actual pdf file name.

To make things even worse the reference cell use a custom format so that the value entered is 01 but will look like 00001. The PDF file itself will be in the form of XXX-B-CCC-00001[and a lot of random stuff behind].pdf

I don't want to add new columns nor use hyperlinks (as much as possible). My preference would be to use macro with an on click event, so that when user click on cells the pdf file opens (similar to hyperlinks but withour hyperlinks).

I've looked through internet and came to copy and adjust the code below, which *kind of* work, EXCEPT that the file open inside the worksheet as text not as a pdf file in a new window :(.

I have the impression that I am not very far from my goal but would need a little help to go the next step and replace the Workbooks.OpenText function with something more suitable.

Thanks

----------------

Sub OpenCell()

Dim eMsg
Dim fName As String
Dim fPath As String

'set path to file: CHANGE TO SUIT
fPath = "My files\"

'handle oops
On Error GoTo oops

'get file name from cell
fName = ActiveCell.Value
fName = "XXX-B-CCC" & "*" & fName & "*"

Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=fPath & fName

oops:

eMsg = MsgBox("No such filename as " & fName & vbCrLf & "In Path " & fPath, vbExclamation)

End Sub
----------------

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
You can fire some code when selectig a cell and I have done that below. Sometimes this can become annoying and you may want to change to only firing the code if the cell is double-clicked.

If you want to do that, remove the very first line of my code and replace it with the second line that I currently have commented and also uncomment the "Cancel = True" line.

Some assumptions (code should be able to be adapted if any of these are incorrect)..

- Your pdf file names are in column A only and below row 1.

- The names are all numeric and entered as numbers but formatted to show 5 digits.

- Following from the above point, the names in the cells do not contain the ".pdf" extension

- All the files in the folder start with "XXX-B-CCC"

- You said you didn't want to use hyperlinks but I have taken that to mean on the sheet itself, I have used a hyperlink in my code.

I suggest that you test this in a copy of your workbook.

Note that you will have to change the path back to suit your location.

<font face=Courier New><br><br><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_SelectionChange(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)<br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Boolean)</SPAN><br><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> fName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> fPath <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> fullName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Column with pdf file names, change to suit</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Const</SPAN> pdfcol As <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN> = "A"<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Bail out if something is obviously wrong</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Target.Count > 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Target.Column <> Columns(pdfcol).Column <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Target.Row < 2 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> IsEmpty(Target) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> IsNumeric(Target.Value) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>    <br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    Cancel = True 'Uncomment if using DoubleClick event</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'set path to file: CHANGE TO SUIT</SPAN><br>    fPath = "C:\Test Folder\"<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'get file name from cell & adjust for formatting</SPAN><br>    fName = ActiveCell.Value<br>    fName = Right("0000" & fName, 5)<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'add the extra 'junk'</SPAN><br>    fName = "XXX-B-CCC" & "*" & fName & "*" & ".pdf"<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'try to get the full path and name from the folder</SPAN><br>    fullName = fPath & Dir(fPath & fName)<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> fullName = fPath <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'file not found message</SPAN><br>        MsgBox "No such filename as " & fName & vbCrLf & _<br>            "In Path " & fPath, vbExclamation<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'open it</SPAN><br>        ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink fullName<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0
Peter,

This works perfectly well. Many thanks for your help.

I have two observations that may help other users :

1- If the file name contains the symbol "#" then the 'link' will not work.

2- There is a delay when opening the files from a network drive (can be up to 10-15 seconds) . This may come from my system, but I think that having the code to search the filename with wildcards may play a part in that. Access through "regular" hyperlinking is significantly faster.

Regards

--
opazzo

Upvote 0
I have two observations that may help other users :

1- If the file name contains the symbol "#" then the 'link' will not work.

2- There is a delay when opening the files from a network drive (can be up to 10-15 seconds) . This may come from my system, but I think that having the code to search the filename with wildcards may play a part in that. Access through "regular" hyperlinking is significantly faster.
1. That is also true of a "regular" hyperlink isn't it?

2. Absolutely true and not unexpected - linking directly to a file rather than searching for it first should be quicker.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back