DataLabel.Formula

WernerGg

Chart data Series can have DataLabels at all or some Points. Unfortunately no data Range as for X- and Y-Values can be associated to the labels as a whole. But at least one can manually enter a formula like "='MySheet'!$D$17" into a label and such have labels with arbitrary dynamic text.

The Excel DataLabel class does not support this formulas. It has no methods or properties for that. No idea why the <ACRONYM title=Microsoft>MS</ACRONYM> programmers just forgot that and do not repair that since years. Instead the class has two properties .Caption and .Text which provide the value (but not the formula) of the label text.

I know about an old trick using
Code:
strFormula = ExecuteExcel4Macro("GET.FORMULA(SELECTION())")
but this does no longer work in Excel 2007.

What is missing is a DataLabel.Formula property or methods so that on can write
Code:
With aDataLabel 
    oldFormula = .Formula 
    newFormula = NowIModifyThat(oldFormula) 
    .Formula = newFormula 
End With

In Excel 2010 this seems to exist but not in earlier versions.

Does anybody know how to get and set the formula of a data label? Does anybody have an undocumented trick or a DLL for that?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Werner

Why are you so surprised by these things?

Every application, programming language has it's anomalies, non-standard features.

As for the 'trick' not working, that is strange.:)

It works for me in Excel 2000 and 2010, perhaps they just skipped 2007.

By the way I'm not sure the term 'class' is quite right, unless perhaps you are using C++ or similar.

If you are perhaps this will be of interest Exce;:_Chart Class Reference.
<!-- doxytag: class="Excel::_Chart" -->

Upvote 0
Werner

Why are you so surprised by these things?

Every application, programming language has it's anomalies, non-standard features.
I am surprised beacause I have a very high rating for MS designers/programmers. It's not understandable why they made such a poor model for DataLabels.

By the way I'm not sure the term 'class' is quite right, unless perhaps you are using C++ or similar.

Classes and OO have nothing to do with C++, Smalltalk or Java. OO is just the standard way of thinking and designing software. Every (!) software, even those written in old non-OO languages. Of course MS and VBA have this OO-thinking as well, although some standard OO-features are missing.

Anyway, I don't talk about languages but about design philosophie. And then it is weak to allow setting an objects property (even if in an obscure way
Code:
aDataLabel.Text = "='MySheet'!$D$17"
) but not reading it back again (
Code:
aString = aDataLabel.Text
delivers the value of D17 not the formula/reference).

If you are perhaps this will be of interest Exce;:_Chart Class Reference.
Thanks for that link, but this is just another generated object model documentation with no semantics. See my thread http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502912 for a possible general object model discussion.

Upvote 0
Werner

Why should aString = aDataLabel.Text 'deliver' what you seem to want, ie the formula, when you are looking at the Text property?

Perhaps you should try it's Formula, FormulaR1C1, FormulaLocal etc property?

As for the 'class' thing, perhaps I used the wrong term but I could have sworn the last time I programmed in C++, C#, Java I used classes of some sort.

Or was it glasses?:)

Have I been doing something wrong all along?

I can sort of get the OO thing but I think it's more a case of people considering languages that aren't really OO to be fully OO.

And yes you could say every language is OO, or has elements of it but then again you might also say that every language has some sort of procedural element to it.

You mention semantics - now that might be more philosopical and of course it's interesting to apply it to existing languages.

Upvote 0
Why should aString = aDataLabel.Text 'deliver' what you seem to want, ie the formula, when you are looking at the Text property?

Perhaps you should try it's Formula, FormulaR1C1, FormulaLocal etc property?

I think you missed the point. There is no Formula property available. You assign the Formula using the Text property, so it's not unreasonable to expect to be able to read it back using the same property, but you can't.

Upvote 0
Rory

There is a Formula property.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd say you were using 2010 then?

Upvote 0
Oops, my bad.:)

I suppose it is unreasonable not being able to read it back, but then again the formula does seem to be evaluated at some point.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back