VLOOKUP won't help

InactiveB1208B

Hi,

I'm new here, but I subscribe to the podcasts and have been a big fan for a while.

I have a workbook with 4 columns. The column A has names, and column D had either "yes" or "no". From this, I want to create a list of just those names that have a "yes" in column D. There are many "yes" entries. How can I do this without using a macro or VB?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Try using Autofilter or a PivotTable (with the yes/no in row field and names in data field)

Upvote 0
that's one idea, but I was looking to have it automatically populat a list at the bottom, and having a pivot table wouldn't look right and would require an extra step in between. I want the list to update as I go.

Upvote 0
elihanover,

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1Namesyes / noyes3
2AyesA
3BnoE
4CnoI
5Dno
6Eyes
7Fno
8Gno
9Hno
10Iyes
Sheet1

Copy the following array formula into cell F2, confirmed with CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER, not just ENTER, and then copy it down until the cell displayes nothing.

=IF(ISERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$100,SMALL(IF($D$2:$D$100=$F$1,ROW($A$2:$A$100)-ROW($F$2)+1),ROWS($D$2:D2)))),"",INDEX($A$2:$A$100,SMALL(IF($D$2:$D$100=$F$1,ROW($A$2:$A$100)-ROW($F$2)+1),ROWS($D$2:D2))))

The formula in cell G1 tells you how many times to copy the array formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
elihanover,

Sheet1

<TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 30px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><COL style="WIDTH: 76px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 82px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><TD> </TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD><TD>C</TD><TD>D</TD><TD>E</TD><TD>F</TD><TD>G</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">Names</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">yes / no</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">yes</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">2</TD><TD>A</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>yes</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">A</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">3</TD><TD>B</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>no</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">E</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">4</TD><TD>C</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>no</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">5</TD><TD>D</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>no</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">6</TD><TD>E</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>yes</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">7</TD><TD>F</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>no</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">8</TD><TD>G</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>no</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">9</TD><TD>H</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>no</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">10</TD><TD>I</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>yes</TD><TD> </TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">11</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>...

G1:
Code:
=COUNTIF($D$2:$D$10,F1)

F2, control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:
Code:
=IF(ROWS($F$2:F2)<=$G$1,INDEX($A$2:$A$10,
   SMALL(IF($D$2:$D$10=$F$1,ROW($D$2:$D$10)-ROW($D$2)+1),
    ROWS($F$2:F2))),"")

This set up is far less expensive. Put othwerwise: It's faster.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back