cell ranges

nordberg42

Is it possible to have a range of cells that encompass multiple sheets?

Problem: Sheets 1 through 4 list hours people worked on four different projects, I would like sheet 5 to automatically calculate how many total hours were worked by a partiular person. So if John Smith worked 1 hour on project 1, 3 hours on Proj2, 2 on proj3, 5 on proj4, i would like sheet 5 to say "11" by John Smith's name. I know how to do a conditional sum and it works fine when im only using one sheet but i cant figure out how to have it look in column A of sheet 1 2 3 & 4 and sum the values of column C in sheet 1 2 3 & 4.

Any help would be appreciated

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Juan,

Thanks for your response. I am unfamiliar with the indirect function but the way i am currently getting the result i want is with this formula in sheet 5:

=SUM(SUMIF('Project A'!A:A,Consolidated!A1,'Project A'!C:C),SUMIF('Project B'!A:A,Consolidated!A1,'Project B'!C:C),SUMIF(Maintenance!A:A,Consolidated!A1,Maintenance!C:C),
SUMIF(Support!A:A,Consolidated!A1,Support!C:C))

(sheet3 is maintenance and sheet4 is support) So i basically sum the result of the conditional sums on each sheet. this works fine for me now but my worry is when there are 25 projects i'd rather not have a formula six times as long as the one above. If the indirect function will solve my problem but if i have to enter an indirect formula for every sheet in the workbook i guess i'll just keep us my sum formula as i understand it.
Please advise if the indirect will let me quickly enter a formula that encompasses the entire wkbk or if the formula will grow as the # of my wksht's grow. if i can just use one quick indirect formula no matter how many sheets i have then i will study up on it

Im hoping there is a way to define column A of every wksht except the last one as the cell range "name", then i will refernce that name in the range criteria of my formula. Thanks for your time, let me know what you think

Upvote 0
If you have the free morefunc.xll add-in...

Iinsert 2 blank worksheets, name them First and Last, put all the relevant worksheets between these two, and use...

=SUMPRODUCT((THREED(First:Last!$A$1:$A$200)=Consolidated!A1)+0,(THREED(First:Last!$B$1:$B$200)))

Upvote 0
The following works, but I'm still trying to create a named range that refers to all but the last sheet, so, follow me:

1. Go to Insert | Name, Define

and define

Sheets

which refers to

=SUBSTITUTE(GET.WORKBOOK(1),"["&GET.WORKBOOK(16)&"]","")

2. We're going to SUMIF A:A of every sheet, with the criteria that is in A2, and sum columns C:C

so, the formula in B1 is

=SUM(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Sheets&"'!A:A"),A2,INDIRECT("'"&Sheets&"'!B:B")))

again, array entered.

Note that we can't have both the criteria and the formula in cells A2 and C2 respectivly, because that creates a circular reference. So, its only possible to have one at a time... If you have a value in C2 in the last sheet, it will be added to the SUMIF above, so, don't put a value there, or move the criteria to B2 for example.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back