Match Multiple columns across multiple sheets return TRUE if match found

klundtasaur

Ok, so I've searched for about 3 days now trying to find this elsewhere, but Google has failed me. I've been searching this and a few other forums for 3 hours and keep coming up dry, so here goes:

I have 3 databases i'm pulling from:
A: a server log
mrnue.jpg
B: a scheduler
aFd8E.jpg
and C: a test result database
LR3dc.jpg

I need to check if there is a match on Date, Time, and Therapist on A and B, and if there is a match, i want to flag the corresponding row on B as TRUE(in Column E: "Looked at").

Then I need to match Date, time, therapist, and patient on B and C, and if there is a match, flag the corresponding row on C as TRUE (in Column D: "Looked at").

I am really a novice at Excel and I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I feel like I can't be the first person to need to do this kind of thing. Thanks so much for your help--if I can't figure out a way to do this with a formula, I've got to go through all 6000 entries by hand...twice.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Well, apparently this problem was above the heads of even this forum! Luckily I found someone at my university's library who was able to help me. In case someone else in the future has a similar query, I'll paste his thoughtful solution here.

"If you combine the date and time cells, here is the solution:

Code:
=IF(VLOOKUP(Appointments!A2,'OQ Log'!A:E,5,FALSE)=C2,TRUE,FALSE)

The IF function tries a logical test. The VLOOKUP will search for a date/time (the combined cell you have) within the range of values (the OQ log values columns A:E) and will return the therapist name (which is the column number in the range you specify--in this case 5 since the therapist is in column E). If the therapist name from the VLOOKUP matches the therapist name in C2, it will say TRUE; if not, it will say FALSE. This will only work if the data in the OQ log is sorted by date. It will not work if the log time does not equal the scheduled appointment time exactly."

Works like a charm. Hopefully this helps someone else.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back