DATEDIF function.... wrong results since new years..?

gsrmini

Board Regular
I have a table which calculates length of employment for employees.

I enter hire date (Column 'G'), then I have 3 DATEDIF formulas:

=DATEDIF(G7, NOW(), "Y")
=DATEDIF(G7, NOW(), "YM")
=DATEDIF(G7, NOW(), "MD")

This gives me three values for number of (years) and (months) and (days)

Based on these values I have setup some automatic email notifications for when employees are nearing certain anniversary/important dates, it then sends out specific emails to different recipients based on the purpose of the notification. (probation ending, change in benefits, anniversary date, change in Vacations etc.)

Anyway, since the change to 2012, the formula for "MD" no longer returns the proper value for day in month, it appears more like days in year. The change in calendar year is the only functioning difference I can think of.
The value of NOW(), I tried using TODAY()... returned same value.

Seems it no longer wants to return the "MD" value, Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I assume you are using Excel 2007 - there's a bug with DATEDIF in that version (which affects "md" argument)

Instead of

try using this formula

=TODAY()-MIN(DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY())-(DAY(TODAY())< DAY(G7))+{1,0},DAY(G7)*{0,1}))

Upvote 0
I assume you are using Excel 2007 - there's a bug with DATEDIF in that version (which affects "md" argument)

Instead of

try using this formula

=TODAY()-MIN(DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY())-(DAY(TODAY())< DAY(G7))+{1,0},DAY(G7)*{0,1}))

This seems to be an accurate replacement for the DATEDIF value, Thank you.
Any idea why I have a value of 3 if 'G#' (Hire date) is blank?

In your opinion, should I also be changing my DATEDIF formulas for "Y" & "YD", just to elimate the use of DATEDIF?

Thanks,

** Also, what would that formula work out to be for finding the DATEDIF "YD" value? as this is also giving me incorrect values (just noticing)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DATEDIF should be OK for "y", "m", "d" or "ym" - the problematic ones are "md" and "yd".

This version should be simpler for "md"

=TODAY()-EDATE(G7,DATEDIF(G7,TODAY(),"m"))

That will also give 3 if G7 is blank - avoid that by changing to

=IF(G7="","",TODAY()-EDATE(G7,DATEDIF(G7,TODAY(),"m")))

working on "yd".......

Upvote 0
Try this instead of "yd"

=IF(G7="","",TODAY()-EDATE(G7,DATEDIF(G7,TODAY(),"y")*12))

It won't always exactly match results from DATEDIF (but to me the results make more sense)

Upvote 0
Try this instead of "yd"

=IF(G7="","",TODAY()-EDATE(G7,DATEDIF(G7,TODAY(),"y")*12))

It won't always exactly match results from DATEDIF (but to me the results make more sense)

Thanks Barry,
This appears to be a suitable replacement as well. This one was calculation for sending out a notification email 2 weeks prior to an employees Birthdays.

Thank you for the help on those, EDATE is new to me... I haven't seen or used that formula before. Seems to be fairly straight forward though.

Appreciate the prompt, and helpful reply.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
I set this up and if I set a start date of 2001-04-01 and use NOW() "2012-01-03" I get "2". Which is what I'd expect. Do you get something different?

Upvote 0
I set this up and if I set a start date of 2001-04-01 and use NOW() "2012-01-03" I get "2". Which is what I'd expect. Do you get something different?

Tardis - Sorry, Unfortunately I don't understand what you're trying to ask.

Barry - I'm just working now on correcting all the formulas that went sour in my workbook due to the DATEDIF glitch I got in 2012 New Year. I have one complex IF statement containing a couple of DATEDIF's that I'm having trouble re-writing and achieving correct results. Are you interested in some reverse engeneering? see if you have a better suggestion?
You seemingly have a good grasp on working with dates.

Here's the IF statement, obviously I can explain it further. It's a bit clumsy, but was the best I could figure at the time that I had written it.
=IF(I7>0,IF(365-DATEDIF(G7,NOW(),"yd")<=14,"1","0"),IF(365-DATEDIF(G7,NOW(),"yd")<=14,"1",IF(K7=5,IF(M7>15,"2","0"),IF(K7=2,IF(M7>15,"3","0"),"0"))))

I attempted working EDATE into it, just not achieving proper results myself.

Let me know. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I assume you are using this part

=365-DATEDIF(G7,NOW(),"yd")

to get days until next birthday. Because of the use of 365 that won't always be accurate....even if the DATEDIF result with "yd" was correct....so this is a better formula for giving an accurate number of days until next birthday

=EDATE(G7,DATEDIF(G7,TODAY()-1,"y")*12+12)-TODAY()

[on birthday itself that will return zero]

so employng that in your formula I think you can use this:

=IF(EDATE(G7,DATEDIF(G7,TODAY()-1,"y")*12+12)-TODAY()<=14,1,IF(I7>0,0,IF(M7>15,IF(K7=5,2,IF(K7=2,3)))))+0

Note: you don't normally put the numbers in quotes (that makes them into text values).

Upvote 0
I assume you are using this part

=365-DATEDIF(G7,NOW(),"yd")

to get days until next birthday. Because of the use of 365 that won't always be accurate....even if the DATEDIF result with "yd" was correct....so this is a better formula for giving an accurate number of days until next birthday

=EDATE(G7,DATEDIF(G7,TODAY()-1,"y")*12+12)-TODAY()

[on birthday itself that will return zero]

so employng that in your formula I think you can use this:

=IF(EDATE(G7,DATEDIF(G7,TODAY()-1,"y")*12+12)-TODAY()<=14,1,IF(I7>0,0,IF(M7>15,IF(K7=5,2,IF(K7=2,3)))))+0

Note: you don't normally put the numbers in quotes (that makes them into text values).

Thanks Barry. That formula seems to be functioning just fine!
I had originally done those "numbers" as a text value, as it used to have a text result, just neglected to delete the "".

This formula is actually the 'trigger' for the emails that are automatically emailed out. When "0" (no email is sent), When "(1,2,3)" determines which email is sent.

"1" = 14 days before yearly aniversary (however many years employed since hire date)
"2" = 14 days before employed for 6 months since hire date
"3" = 14 days before 3 months probation period ends since hire date

Years, Months & Days since hire date. (Has been employed #years, #months & #days)
G7 = Hire date
I7 =DATEDIF(G7, NOW(), "Y") - (years since hire date)
K7 =DATEDIF(G7, NOW(), "YM") - (months, within year, since hire date)
M7 =TODAY()-EDATE(G7,DATEDIF(G7,TODAY(),"m")) - (days, within month, since hire) <-- this as suggested by yourself, to replace DATEDIF "MD"

Your suggested formula seems to have solved the issues I had with the DATEDIF function.

Thanks so much for the prompt, to the point & accurate suggestions you gave.
The 'Mr. Excel' forum is a very helpful resource because of people like yourself.

Very much appreciated, Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Parik11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back