I have roasted a goat and thrown ashes to the four winds and thse formulas will not copy

jol11235813213455

I am really hoping to have a face palm moment when some wizened member of the community sets be straight.

I am using the version of Excel which came with Office 2010 Student Edition. I am on windows 7 64-bit. In my experience, "ctrl+c" and "ctrl+v" should clone one cell to the next perfectly; any reference not prefixed with "$" should remain relative, yada yada ya - I'm sure everyone here knows how to copy and paste.

However, when I try to copy and paste I seem to only be able to paste values; no formulae, no formats, et cetera. When I paste onto more than one cell, I get:

copyerror.png

In my experience, the formula should just be copied to each cell with no issues. When I select OK, it only pastes to the upper-left-most cell in the range. Even then, still only values. So I go to 'Paste Special,' and there are some missing options:

pasteoptions.png

When I click 'Paste Special,' instead of the usual menu of values, formats, et cetera, I get:

pastespecial.png

So, I check my settings, and cannot find a thing that would affect this. I do not claim omnipotence, please humble me; the closest setting I can find to augment are:

copypastesettings.png

So, that's where I'm at. Like I said, I am using 2010 home and student. Most of my other experience is with Excel 2010 Professional. Both are 32-bit instances on 64-bit windows 7 machines. I don't know if this would affect anything, but just throwing those details in.

P.S. - I can select the "fill" tab up in the ribbon, but that almost makes the program useless in my opinion. It's like non-alcoholic beer or those "snakes" people burn on the fourth of July.

Please, someone hand my rear end to me with a ridiculously simple solution/explanation, or at least commiserate if you've experienced the same.

Thank you!

- Jason

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Yesterday this solution worked for a member.

If you have Skype installed, with the addin "Click to Call" this needs to be uninstalled. You will need to go into control panel, add/remove programs and uninstall the program "Click to Call."

Upvote 0

If you have Skype installed, with the addin "Click to Call" this needs to be uninstalled. You will need to go into control panel, add/remove programs and uninstall the program "Click to Call."

That's interesting. I have 'Click to Call' and it hasn't caused me any trouble. I wonder why Skype would interfere?

Thanks for sharing though. :)

Upvote 0
John,

This solution helped MrKowz solve the same pasting values problem with a coworker's computer yesterday.

Upvote 0
Nice title

Are you, by any chance, copying from one workbook to another?

Ty, Ty - and no.

As a matter of fact, I installed skype very recently - I am not at home to be able to check on this, but more than likely that's the face-palm solution :cool:. Thank you so much!*

*Pending it works :p

Upvote 0
I too had the same problem. Every time I tried RECENTLY to copy a formula, it did not copy the formula, but only the results (value) of the origin cell. I was trying to copy formulas on the same sheet from one cell to nearby blank cells.

I am using Excel2007 Home & Student. I checked update history and found an update for Excel 2010. I removed that update, and all worked well. Last night and again this morning I have the same problem - only copies result(value) and NOT the formula. A re-check of the update history does NOT show any Excel 2010 update.

I will now go and explore the Skype issue discussed above.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back