EXCEL/WORD MailMerge

srands

Board Regular
MAIL MERGE in WORD using EXCEL RESULTS as database :)

http://www.srands.co.uk/Word&ExcelMailMerge.zip

OPEN ZIP FILE and EXTRACT to chosen FOLDER, however on opening word file, select correct excel file: 'exoftable4.xls', i.e: Pointing to the correct FOLDER that the EXCEL file is now saved in, as opposed to the FILE DIRECTORY LOCATION when last saved/created.

OPEN CREATED WORD MAIL MERGE DOCUMENT:
YES to open selected data, DATA LINK PROPERTIES, CONNECTION will appear
In 1. Browse all FILE TYPES, and browse to folder, where files are saved to: 'exoftable4.xls', OK.
VIEW, TOOL BARS, MAIL MERGE (Tick if NOT ticked), <<ABC>>, to toggle between FIELDS and ACTUAL DATA. :eek:

VIEW MAIL MERGE:
When finished to toggle between CODE and ACTUAL FIELDS, press the MAIL MERGE ICON <<ABC>> 'VIEW MERGED DATA'.
|< Start of records
< Backwards through records
> Forwards through records
|> Finish of records
OR
CREATE YOUR ON MAIL MERGE LETTER from any EXCEL WORKBOOK or ACCESS db:
TOOLS, LETTERS and MAILINGS, MAIL MERGE, LETTERS, NEXT, USE CURRENT DOCUMENT,
NEXT, SELECT RECIPIENTS, USE AN EXISTING LIST, BROWSE, SELECT EXCEL WORKBOOK,
SELECT EXCEL TAB within WORKBOOK, select 1ST COLUMN, NON BLANKS, SELECT ALL, OK.
VIEW, TOOL BARS, MAIL MERGE (Tick if NOT ticked), INSERT MERGE FIELDS (A4 icon), DATAFIELDS, then select your chosen EXCEL HEADINGS, 1 field at a time!

MAIL MERGE RESULTS:
Press the MERGE TO NEW DOCUMENTS icon or MERGE TO PRINT.
QUESTION 1). Is there a FORMULA and/or VB CODE way for MAIL MERGING to WORD from EXCEL? :confused: Hence a word document would be created, however I guess this would cause some issues:
~ If started in EXCEL instead of WORD then LETTER without elabourate HEADER, FOOTER, logos, unless all paper in printer is already LETTERHEADED.
~ Alternatively prompt EXCEL to use a designated TEMPLATE

Anyway the attached sample files work.
Crossthreads:
http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164631&p=605529#post605529

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
GREAT stuff:

WORD 'N' EXCEL MAIL MERGE www.srands.co.uk/Word&ExcelMailMerge.zip

EMAIL 'N' EXCEL AUTO GENERATED www.srands.co.uk/ExcelEmail

Working on a:
VOICE 'N' EXCEL spreadsheet, looking for a decent simple small VBA LOOP CODE with STARTING ROW CELL, then continously adds to row number, until BLANK ROW.

Whatever next? I think getting a microsoft phone dialler/messenging/rdc/rds program, or even skype to work with the future VOICE 'N' EXCEL file, is too much to ask, et 'esque'.

Perhaps I'll get something else, maybe some 'embossed' loo paper, automatic roller, for the loo, an electronic toilet roll dispenser, just need some 'parts' from some old expensive laser printers, now where are those old Samsung's, etc.

Upvote 0
NOTE: WORD -> EXCEL not the other way round? You might ask if the database is EXCEL, surely you'd open EXCEL first, NO.
SINCE WORD DOCUMENTS, are easier to EDIT in WORD (Would take too long to EXCEL VBA code WORD document with word headers, word footers, page set up, different fonts, correct spaces/paragraphs, etc), open with the WORD DOCUMENT first, then the WORD DOCUMENT connects with the EXCEL SPREADSHEET, with a prompt for FOLDER/FILE location.
TEMPLATES are better then starting from fresh, they are easier to use, a method that works and using them looks consistent. However many like to start from FRESH, if you like this style, here is what I did:
~ EXCEL SPREADHSHEET/DATABASE with HEADERS (Name, Address1, etc)
~ WORD DOCUMENT with HEADER/FOOTER, then MAIL MERGED with EXCEL SPREADSHEET.

Upvote 0
Talking of CODES, sometimes when trying to piece together the right VBA, I wonder if any of the VBA codes:
~ Works, at all.
~ That the VB codes are not really the revised new working vba code, but the old not working vba code!

Then on reflecting maybe it is the code I need, it might just need a few edits, reading through the VBA codes, I think:
What purpose do this serve?
What do I need again?
I think that might be what I'm looking for.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back