Formula for Excel business day turn around

cbjornn

Basically, what I want is a formula that I can input the last email date/time that we responded to at the end of the day and based off our business hours it gives us the proper business day turn around.

Our business hours are 7:30am-5:30pm, Monday through Friday, holidays off.

So for example, on May 25th the last email we responded to was for 5/24 5:39pm.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Please clarify with some examples what the calculated result should be. Also why would it matter if the last email was 5/24 5:39pm that it was now May 25 - how does that impact the calculation? Also, is "proper business day turnaround 10 hours from the email date or some other length of time?

Upvote 0
Please clarify with some examples what the calculated result should be. Also why would it matter if the last email was 5/24 5:39pm that it was now May 25 - how does that impact the calculation? Also, is "proper business day turnaround 10 hours from the email date or some other length of time?

Sure thing Ron!
I'm really quite a novice at this so hopefully my explanation makes sense.

So we keep a daily log of the email last worked on at the end of the day and the origin when that email first entered our system. Because we are not working 24 hours a day, or weekends, I want an accurate formula which shows the true amount of business days for us to respond.

Our business days are 10 hours, yes. So additionally, if someone sent us an email after business hours, it should count as that it came into our system at 7:00am the following day.

Here is an example:
A1 (Origin of email) - 5/24/2012 5:39:00 PM
A2 (When we responded to the email) - 5/25/2012 6:00:00 PM
A3 (Amount of business days we took to respond to the email) - ?

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Upvote 0
Hello cbjornn, I closed your original thread because you've opened a new one here. Please stick to one thread.

So what's the required answer for your example, are you looking for a result in hours and minutes?

You say the reply is at 6 PM, that's outside business hours, so not only might you receive the email outside business hours but you might also respond outside, is that right?

Upvote 0
Hello cbjornn, I closed your original thread because you've opened a new one here. Please stick to one thread.

So what's the required answer for your example, are you looking for a result in hours and minutes?

You say the reply is at 6 PM, that's outside business hours, so not only might you receive the email outside business hours but you might also respond outside, is that right?

No problem Barry.

My apologies, I meant 5:30pm, not 6pm. We always put 5:30pm for the email response time as that is when we close.

The preferred format would be # of business days with decimal, I.E. 2.21 business days. I'm not even sure if that is possible. If not, then hours and minutes are fine as well.

Upvote 0
OK, if email receipt time is in A2....and that can be any time, evenings, weekends, holidays etc..... but B2 is the time you sent the response, always within work hours, then try this formula in C2

=NETWORKDAYS(A2,B2,H$2:H$10)-1+(MOD(B2,1)-MEDIAN(NETWORKDAYS(A2,A2,H$2:H$10)*MOD(A2,1),"07:30","17:30"))/"10:00"

Assumes that you have a list of holiday dates in H2:H10

format C2 as number to show the decimal number of business days elapsed

Upvote 0
Perfect, thank you!

This looks great. Just for my understanding, can you explain the last portion of this formula - /"10:00"?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
The first part calculates the whole days passed and then the last part calculates any hours above that so you might get 3 days and 6:00......but you want a decimal number of days so the 6:00 needs to be converted to a fraction of a day, to do that you can divide by the length of the day, that's "10:00", so when you have "6:00"/"10:00" that will give 0.6 and a result for my example of 3.6

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sousanna Aristiadou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back