Explain the Formula

Memon

Board Regular
I copied a formula from the internet and I want to understand what does it do & how does it work..

Code:
=ROUND(MAX(IF($W$8,MAX(0,SUM(H$12:H12)+G13-$W$9),0),IF($W$5,IF(G13>$W$6,G13-$W$6,0),0)),2)

thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Well, the explanation would have a logical and a technical part. Without context, we can only guess the logical part.

So that leaves the technical part.

Shortly summarized it is a conditional calculation of some values. The result is rouded to 2 decimals.
It looks like the formula is designed to be copied down.

Cells $W$8 and $W$5 are TRUE/FALSE values.
If $W$8 is TRUE then the calculation is: SUM(H$12:H12)+G13-$W$9. If the outcome is negative, then 0 is returned. Also if $W$8 is FALSE.
Remark: on the first line with this formula, SUM(H$12:H12)+G13+$W$9 is the value in H12+G13-$W$9.
Copied down 1 cell gives the sum of H12 and H13 + G14 - $W$9.
Copied down another cell gives the sum of H12,H13 and H14 + G15 - $W$9. Etcetera.

If $W$5 is TRUE, then $W$6 is subtracted from G13, with a maximum of 0.
Copied down 1 cell gives G14-$W$6, with a maximum of 0.

From the results of both conditions ($W$8 / $W$5), the highest value is returned and rounded to 2 decimals.

So with both conditions the value in G13 (copied downwards G14, G15 etcetera) is used in the calculation.
With condition $W$8 this is added to the cumulative value in H12 and downwards. And $W$9 is subtracted from this.
With condition $W$5 only $W$6 is subtracted from G13 (and downwards G14, G15 etcetera).
In no case negative values will result. The result will Always be 0 or positive,

I guess the value in $W$6 is associated with the condition in $W$5 and $W$9 is associated with the condition in $W$8.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, the word thank you is not enough for you but I have nothing else to say

Let's go back to the formula

What this formula do is it gets two time stamps in 24 hours format and calculates the hourse between them like if we want to calculate the gap between check-in and check-out for a visitor

But it seems super-complicated

Is there any replacement for it that would be simple, easy to understand and do the same job?

Thanks again mr.MarcelBeug

Upvote 0
If A1 = time in; B1 = time out, then the formula would be just
Code:
=B1-A1

If possibly midnight is within the time frame, use
Code:
=MOD(B1-A1,1)

If time gap would be >= 24 hours, you would need to include the date, use the first formula and make sure your result field is formatted as [h]:mm or [h]:mm:ss.

To be honest I really don't recognize this kind of calculation from the original formula, e.g. it doens't make sense to round a time gap on 2 decimals: .01 = 14 minutes and 24 seconds.

Do you know the contents of the fields used in the original formula?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah
actually the person who wrote the formula wants to count the hours only not the hours and minutes
so he want to say that if someone checked in at 17:00 and checked out at 19:30, this person stayed for 2.50 Hours not 2 Hours and 30 Minutes
you get that ?

Upvote 0
Well, any time value multiplied by 24 will give you the number of hours if the result field is formatted as a number.

It would make more sense if you share the information what is in the fields mentioned (in column G, H and W).

With all due respect, it feels like being in a quiz now, proceeding for the refrigerator :)

Upvote 0
well the problem is: I don't have the fields G,H and W, the thread where I copied the formula from is deleted and that's why I needed an explanation

I just need to calculate hours between two fields that contains date and time in this format: (dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm)
I want two things to be considered:
1- the result should be in hours only not in hh:mm format,, for example: 5:15 = 5.25 hours
2- if the date changes it should calculate it for example: check-In: 15/5/2015 23:15 - check-Out: 16/5/2015 01:00 = 1.75 hours

sorry Mr.MarcelBeug for giving the bad feeling ><"

Upvote 0
For a time difference you can just subtract the smaller value from the larger one.....then multiply by 24 to get the hours as a decimal (as Marcel says), e.g. with start time/date in A2 and end time/date in B2 use this formula in C2

=(B2-A2)*24

Format C2 as number

Upvote 0
No worries, no bad feeling, I was just joking. "To proceed for the refrigerator" is a common expression in the Netherlands.

It looks like your issue is solved: just use the formula from Barry.

To conclude: if the original formula subtracts time values, then those fields are definitely not formatted as (date/)time, but as numbers.

Upvote 0
Well it seems my problem wasn't that bad i feel stupid ??

But it was really nice meeting you guys thanks alot

Special thanks to mr. MarcelBeug

One last thing: can you tell me what that expression mean ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back