3D Array Formula - Is it Possible?

krame00

Before I waste any more time on this - is it possible for an Array formula to be 3D? I am having no success, and I have heard it is - if you know how to do it right...

I tried searching the forum, but got too many hits to weed though - so if anyone has a quick answer that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Khana

Hi all,
my idea was stupid, it works only with empty cells not with zeros and has some more problems - should think first than post :unsure:

Sorry

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Hi

Playing with Peter's idea

=SUM(Sheet1:Sheet5!A1)/SUMPRODUCT(FREQUENCY(Sheet1:Sheet5!A1,{-1E-307,0})*(ROW(1:3)<>2))

You can test the denominator to avoid DIV/0.

Hope this helps
PGC

Upvote 0
Hi

Playing with Peter's idea

=SUM(Sheet1:Sheet5!A1)/SUMPRODUCT(FREQUENCY(Sheet1:Sheet5!A1,{-1E-307,0})*(ROW(1:3)<>2))

You can test the denominator to avoid DIV/0.

Hope this helps
PGC

Hi PGC,

Very interesting. I didn't know that FREQUENCY would accept a 3D reference for the data array. And apparently, the same thing applies for the bins array. For the denominator, however, I think the following might suffice...

INDEX(FREQUENCY(Sheet1:Sheet5!A1,0),2)

Upvote 0
Hi Domenic

You are right if you only consider positive numbers. My formula averages all the numbers, positive and negative, excluding the zeros. If the problem deals only about positive numbers your denominator is indeed preferable.

Best regards
PGC

Upvote 0
Yes, I assumed that only numbers greater than zero would be averaged. Maybe I shouldn't have made that assumption. However, my understanding is that an average is meaningless if the calculation excludes zero's but includes negative numbers, hence my usual assumption in these cases. I don't think I've seen any cases where an average of positive and negative numbers excludes zero's.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choy96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back