A few questions about external links behavior

SaladProblems

Hi! I have a spreadsheet that references another sheet, and it works pretty well.

We use a system to input payroll that can put out a .CSV file with all the information, but the guys we submit it to are mysteriously not too tech savvy so they have given our office's payroll department a functionless spreadsheet to type in all the data manually.

Every cent has to add up perfectly and we've got about 1200 employees working 5 days a week, so as you can imagine, finding discrepancies can be arduous. So my spreadsheet imports the data from the CSV, posts it beside the manually entered info, and colors the cells that don't match up red.

So... My question is what will happen if I send this file to another office? If I tell them to save the .CSV file under the same name as the one my sheet references on our local drives, will it update if both documents are open at the same time? If not, is there's a good way to make it work for a lot of people who aren't good with excel?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
If the files are open at the same time, it should update OK. Best to open the csv first.

You could also write a macro that pulls in the datainto the correct fields so you don't evenneed to do the comparisson.. A bit more work at the start..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aurelius33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back