ActiveX Controls Resizing Bug

adam_pallister

Hello,

I'm having issues with a spreadsheet I've created. I've added in various Active X buttons/scroll bars/checkboxes and textboxes with macros linked to some.

When someone else uses the spreadsheet (it doesn't seem to happen on mine) when any of the controls are clicked strange things start happening i.e. the font size grows or the size of the control itself shrinks.

I can't use Form Control buttons as I need the extra functionality of the ActiveX ones and I've tried changing the Object Positioning in the Properties tab under Format Control to all 3 Move and Size settings without any sucess.

If anyone knows the answer or even if it's impossible to correct that would be really helpful.

Thanks
Adam

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Nope, setting AutoSize to true stopped working after I made unrelated changes, just like other solutions previously did. Back to square one.

BTW my zoom setting is always 100% (slider on the bottom-right corner of the Excel window) so that doesn't seem to be a factor in my case.

Here is how the problem manifests for me in detail, and the only thing that consistently solved part of my problem.

I have regular command buttons (OLE objects, not form objects). Every time I click any one of them, its height and width shrink by about half and so does the font size.

Now I found that to stop the height and width shrinking I can set the Placement property of the button to 3, which is the same as right-clicking the button, Format Control, Properties, Don't move or size with cells.

But that does not stop the font shrinking.

So it's possible that people who have this problem in a way that doesn't involve font size might benefit from this setting.

The funny (not really) thing is that after the button font shrunk due to me clicking the button, if I inspect the properties of that button I see that the Font properties did not change at all (Calibri 12 Bold, the same it was before the shrinking). And yet the font of that button clearly became about 50% smaller than it was before clicking the button. And the zoom slider was 100% before clicking and still is 100% after clicking.

Back to wasting time on this appalling and immortal bug to see if I can find a solution that covers the font as well.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I'm having issues with a spreadsheet I've created. I've added in various Active X buttons/scroll bars/checkboxes and textboxes with macros linked to some.

When someone else uses the spreadsheet (it doesn't seem to happen on mine) when any of the controls are clicked strange things start happening i.e. the font size grows or the size of the control itself shrinks.

I can't use Form Control buttons as I need the extra functionality of the ActiveX ones and I've tried changing the Object Positioning in the Properties tab under Format Control to all 3 Move and Size settings without any sucess.

If anyone knows the answer or even if it's impossible to correct that would be really helpful.

Thanks
Adam

We have found that grouping the different controls together stops the sizing issue. If only one control is on the page, we add an invisible text box to group with the control. It's worth a try!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PSAv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back