ActiveX warning message despite allowing all ActiveX in Trust Center

vmser

Board Regular
I have an issue I'm struggling with, and it bothers me to no end. However, I can't come up with a decent solution, so I'm turning to you folks for advice.

The problem is as follows:
I have a .xlsm file containing a few macros. The macros use Forms, and specifically they also use TreeView objects in them (through mscomctl.ocx). I have gone through the Trust Center, and set every setting to it's unsafest form (allow all ActiveX, allow all VBA, no 'safe mode' for web documents, etc etc...

I can open the file, but when I call the macro relying on forms, I get a warning message labeled 'Microsoft Forms', with the following error message:

This application is about to initialize ActiveX Controls that might be
unsafe. If you trust the source of this document, select Yes and the
control will be initialized using your document settings.

It both surprises me (I said to allow it all in the settings, didn't I?) and annoys me (well, not the first time, but me and my coworkers use it on a daily basis and it gets on my nerves).

Does anyone have a clue whatsoever as to:
1) Why this happens?
2) How I can avoid the message?

I'm open to both solutions on altering the Excel file, or settings I have to alter on local machines (<20 PC's).

Details:
Windows 8.1, running Excel 2013.
The macro-code is 'safe', it's built by our company employees (myself included). Code is password-protected so can't be meddled with.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I don't think I've encountered that one, but have you tried wrapping the call with:
Code:
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Call Macro1
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Upvote 0
I don't think I've encountered that one, but have you tried wrapping the call with:
Code:
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Call Macro1
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Here's the thing: I try to avoid toggling off 'DisplayAlerts' to the best of my abilities. We've had issues that if a macro crashes, it remains 'stuck' in its toggled off state.
Somehow (beyond me) it implies that sometimes when you try and alter a cell, it doesn't appear to change in the worksheet shown, but in one of the hidden sheets at that position.

Needless to say: That's something I want to avoid.

Upvote 0
Do you have the equivalent mentioned Policies or HKLM entries that might be overriding your settings?

Upvote 0
Do you have the equivalent mentioned Policies or HKLM entries that might be overriding your settings?

I have no other entries in the registry with the same name.

PS: I've tried the same file on an old windows XP pc, with office 2003 - and I do NOT get the error.
Any pointers on how I can make the file 'SFI'?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hermansoa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back