SamAnnElizabeth

I think I'm close to finally figuring out my issue and I think I need to use an array formula. The trouble is, I'm not too great at array formulas. Here's a simplified version of what I'm working on.

I have a sheet that has a list of programs down column A. Across row 1 I have the check dates when something about its progress needs to be filed. Here's a fictional example:

StartCheck 1Check 2Check 3
Program A1/25/132/25/134/25/136/25/13
Program B2/13/133/13/134/3/136/13/13
Program C4/26/137/26/138/13/131/14/14
Program D7/8/137/15/137/22/137/29/13

<tbody>
</tbody>

There is no consistent progression. What I'm trying to do is find a way to create a list of the upcoming checks with a 'This Week', and 'Next Week' out look. I'd like it to look like this:

This WeekNext Week
Program A
Program BCheck 2
Program C
Program D

<tbody>
</tbody>

Is there an automated way I can get 'Check 2' to appear in that box by using an array? I've tried to figure it out, but I'm lousy at them. I've asked this question before but I think I have a slightly better grasp on it now.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
With your first range in A1:E5
AND...
G1: ThisStart
H1: =TODAY()-WEEKDAY(TODAY(),3)....Currently Monday, 25-Mar-2013

G2: NextStart
H2: =H1+7 ....Currently Monday, 01-Apr-2013

and your second range in L1:N5
This regular formula returns the process step that pertains to this week
Code:
M2: =INDEX($A$1:$E$1&"",MAX(MAX(INDEX((($B2:$E2-WEEKDAY($B2:$E2,3))=$H$1)*COLUMN($B2:$E2),0)),1))
Copy that formula down through M5

This regular formula returns the process step that pertains to nest week
Code:
M2: =INDEX($A$1:$E$1&"",MAX(MAX(INDEX((($B2:$E2-WEEKDAY($B2:$E2,3))=$H$2)*COLUMN($B2:$E2),0)),1))
Copy that formula down through N5.

Note: if there is no match, the formula returns the contents of cell A1...so leave that cell blank.

Is that something you can work with?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A non-array, nested IF solution. Copy the formula in H2 across and down.
H2 formula is:
Code:
=IF(WEEKNUM(TODAY(),2)+COLUMN(A1)-1=WEEKNUM($C2,2),$C$1,IF(WEEKNUM(TODAY(),2)+COLUMN(A1)-1=WEEKNUM($D2,2),$D$1,IF(WEEKNUM(TODAY(),2)+COLUMN(A1)-1=WEEKNUM($E2,2),$E$1,"")))
Sheet4

*ABCDEFGHI
1*StartCheck 1Check 2Check 3**This WkNext Wk
2Program A1/25/20132/25/20134/25/20136/25/2013*Program A**
3Program B2/13/20133/13/20134/3/20136/13/2013*Program B*Check 2
4Program C4/26/20137/26/20138/13/20131/14/2014*Program C**
5Program D7/8/20137/15/20137/22/20137/29/2013*Program D**

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:71px;"><col style="width:68px;"><col style="width:68px;"><col style="width:68px;"><col style="width:68px;"><col style="width:64px;"><col style="width:71px;"><col style="width:55px;"><col style="width:60px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
H2=IF(WEEKNUM(TODAY(),2)+COLUMN(A1)-1=WEEKNUM($C2,2),$C$1,IF(WEEKNUM(TODAY(),2)+COLUMN(A1)-1=WEEKNUM($D2,2),$D$1,IF(WEEKNUM(TODAY(),2)+COLUMN(A1)-1=WEEKNUM($E2,2),$E$1,"")))

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0
Here's a third option, and probably the ugliest formula I've ever written:

=IFERROR(OFFSET($A$5,,SUM(IF(($E6:$G6>=DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(NOW()),DAY(NOW())-WEEKDAY(NOW())+1))*($E6:$G6<=DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(NOW()),DAY(NOW())-WEEKDAY(NOW())+7))>0,($E6:$G6>=DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(NOW()),DAY(NOW())-WEEKDAY(NOW())+1))*($E6:$G6<=DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(NOW()),DAY(NOW())-WEEKDAY(NOW())+7))*COLUMN($E6:$G6),0))-1),"")

This is an array formula, and it will only work for the "this week" column. You have to modify it for the "Next week" column by changing "weekday + 1" and "weekday + 7" sections to "weekday + 8" and "weekday + 14".

data sources:
E6:G6 is your raw data row

A5 is in the same row as your headers (check 1, check 2, etc). The array will return the column # of the match, then use this to offset from A5, so you'll need to adjust a little bit to get the right column. The part to adjust is the -1 in this segment "COLUMN($E6:$G6),0))-1)"

Upvote 0
Ron: I'm adopting it to fit in my sheet and I'm getting a #Value error because in my actual sheet there are some dates missing. For example, the Start/Program A date is in the past, so it's not in the table or there is no Check 2 for Program C.

Do you know a tweak that can fix this? My actual table is 18x27 so anything I can copy en masse is best!

Joe: Because my actual table is 18x27, I'm not sure how well this will copy.

Chris: I'm confused what you mean by a data source and what you have entered in E6:G6

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ron: I'm adopting it to fit in my sheet and I'm getting a #Value error because in my actual sheet there are some dates missing. For example, the Start/Program A date is in the past, so it's not in the table or there is no Check 2 for Program C.

Do you know a tweak that can fix this? My actual table is 18x27 so anything I can copy en masse is best!

1) Missing dates are easily absorbed by the formulas I posted. It will, however, return #VALUE! if any of the date cells has text...like: "LATE"... and not a date.
Is that the issue?

2) If you need us to supply a different formula, please let us know the exact locations of your data so we can tailor the formulas to suit your needs.

Upvote 0
Ron,

The cells it's drawing from should be blank, they're the result of this formula: =IF(M4="","",M4+IF(WEEKDAY(M4)=6,0,(-1-WEEKDAY(M4)))) which will return a Friday date for the one entered in a previous table. Maybe I should mention all of my dates are on Fridays. The blanks I have are pretty numerous. I've only gotten the formula to return a result in the rows that have no blank cells. I double checked and my dates are all in the date format.

When I did 'evaluate formula,' it seemed that the issue was in the line where the data row is subtracted from the weekday value of the data row: $B2:$E2-WEEKDAY($B2:$E2,3). Where there is a blank, the formula returned a #VALUE error.

I adjusted the formula you gave me to fit my data area. I have programs listed in column AB, with AB1 left blank. They fill until row 28. I have checkpoints in row 1 from AC to AT. I put the 'week beginning' dates in row 29, CF:CK. I adjusted the formula to read the following:
=INDEX($AB$1:$AT$1&"",MAX(MAX(INDEX((($AC2:$AT2-WEEKDAY($AC2:$AT2,3))=CF$29)*COLUMN($AC2:$AT2)-27,0)),1))

I added the -27 to compensate for the columns I was using.

Thank you so much for your help!

Upvote 0
I think I solved it! I changed the formula from the area I was drawing from to return '0' for the if function, so =IF(M4="","0",M4+IF(WEEKDAY(M4)=6,0,(-1-WEEKDAY(M4)))) which solved the blank cell problem.

Thank you so much for your help! I'm very thankful!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wizardWEW

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back