Assigning a value by performing a search relative to position

cstoreguru

I have searched and searched threads and can't seem to find what I am looking for. The problem may be that I am an amateur and cannot convert what others have done in to what I am trying to do.

The data is a copy of CSV file in to a spreadsheet. Below is what the paste looks like:

100100 Books
1234.ab
1345.bf
100100 Books
100200 Magazines
100300 Videos
1234.ab
1345.bf
100300 Videos

All of the numbers between the 100100 Books, 100300 Videos belongs to that category. This repeats hundreds of rows down. I need the column to the left of this range to display which division it under. I parse this in excel so Books, Videos, Magazines will be in their own column. I am not exporting the CSV so have to manipulate it in excel. I need to have the column to the left combine the whole identifier so I can perform a VLOOKUP on it. It should look as follows:

100100.1234.ab
100100.1345.bf
etc.

My approach was to get the column to the left of the range to display the correct division, then have another column combine by using (cell)&"."&(cell).

I apologize if this has been addressed. I am trying to learn VB for excel and have ordered some books from this website but if I could get some help asap I would be forever grateful and will return the favor when I have a clue of what I'm doing. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adunn_23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back