Auto Data Fill Question?

chetp

Auto Data Fill Question? Newbie

I have a workbook to invoice customers. In the workbook I have multiple invoice sheets, a totals sheet, and a custname sheet. The custname sheet contains columb headings of Cust#, CustName,Address,and city_st_zip.

My question is: May I fill in or look up from a list in a cell (say c7) on the customer invoice sheets and fill (C7)with the customer number (Unique) found in another sheet called (Custname). After excel fills in this information I would like excel then to fill in the custname, address and city_St_zip.

Sheet 1 called Custname
A1- Cust#
B1- Custname
C1- Address
D1- City_St_zip

Sheet 2 called Invoive

Cell on Invoice sheet C7 would lookup from a list or be entered manually the cust# found on Sheet Custname.

Excel would then find data from the Custname sheet and copy it to cells on Invoice sheet.

G10 would contain the Custname based on the Cust# found inC7
G11 would contain the address
G12 would contain the city_St_zip all based on custnumber in C7

I have excel 2002 but need this to work with Excel 97.

I am really new at this and it has been driving me nuts Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance
Chet

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
For future reference, you need to work through the formula. There are people (Aladin) that post formulas, that even to a seasoned XL user, make no sense. The only way to make sense of them is to get down and dirty and start picking apart the formula. Type it out character by character. Type it out a few times. Change things in the formula and see what kind of result you get. This is the only true way to learn. I'm descent at Excel and the Help files, most of the time, help me only minimally (although I still read through them).

Learn by doing and then doing again.

Upvote 0
PaddyD,
Got it now. I did not get the concept that the lookup started with the value in the current worksheet. I was looking to the table initially. I would not have gotten how to look for two values had Aladin not shown me how to combine two values on the table.
With the reference link you provided, which explains the VLookup very clearly and Aladin's solving the 2nd part I have gotten the concept down better now.

Thanks you.

Doug

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back